Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recording audio on CDs

• Please log in to reply

ljcox

ljcox

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been attempting to transfer music from vinyl records to CD. I have 3 questions:-

1. Does anyone know how to fix records that jump tracks? I assume there must be grit in the track that causes the needle to jump.

2. I'm able to produce .wav files by using the strange "AV Rack" software, but when I created an audio CD from these files using the Windows Media Player software, the CD can be played via the computer's CD read/write hardware but not via a CD player. I have tried 3 different CD players and they all give an error code when I try to play the CD. However, I copied an audio CD and recorded on a CD and it does play on the CD players.

3. Can someone please recommend an audio processing software package that I can buy or obtain free from the internet?

Any help will be appreciated.

Len

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hey there-
first, the dirty records. you will want to invest a little money in a record cleaning brush. its worth it to clean the vinyl, since this is what will be encoded, and pops/clicks that get recorded will be their forever (unless you run the recording through an audio processing program, which can clean up some noise).
in this case, like many others, garbage in = garbage out.

you may need to play with the tracking force of your turntable. increasing the weight will help hold the needle in the track, but it will also damage the record more, so dont just lay it on heavy and call it good.

second, it sounds like you created data CD's instead of audio CD's. make sure you specify to create an audio CD. otherwise it keep the file in WAV or MP3 format, which a standard CD player wont recognize.

third, check out Cakewalk. this is a decent program for very little money (only $49!). there is an update, called home studio 2, for $99.

http://www.musicians...ase_pid/705120/

this will give you full editing capabilities, for cutting up tracks, etc. and may have some noise reduction tools. it does support directX plug ins- free and cheap add-ons that can do all kinds of cool stuff, like noise reduction.

hope this helps!

ljcox

ljcox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Audioboy,

I did select the Audio CD option but to no avail.

I'll try again and see if it works.

Len

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I did a little checking around, and found a decent page on how to's of vinyl recording to CDR. this is a little old, and a bit in the audiophile-snob side, but it gives a pretty good idea of the basics as well.

http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm

also has links for some cheap and free audio editing programs.
enjoy!

ljcox

ljcox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again. I'll look at the site.

I read the Windows Media Player help and followed their procedure, but no luck. The Windows Explorer states that the tracks on the CD are a "CD Audio Track" but they won't play on a CD player.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
did you close the session when you burned the disc? the burn program needs to finalize the CD, writing the TOC (table of contents), so that a standard CD player can read it.

using the media player burner, it may be writing in packet format, so that you can add more tracks later. 3rd party burn programs are often easier to use, and work faster too. did any burn programs come with your CDR? likely there was a version of nero or easy cd creator bundled. if not, they would be worth checking out.

ljcox

ljcox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I waited until the CD tray came out indicating the CD burning was finished.

However, I tried again and it worked this time.

So I don't know what happened the first time.

I think I followed the same procedure. ??

The URL you gave me looks good.

Thanks again

Len

Edited by ljcox, 06 May 2005 - 03:45 AM.