Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Everything on screen works but is too small

• Please log in to reply

TheWern

TheWern

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

I have 2 Dell C840 notebooks that have the same problem.

Everything, including toolbars and taskbarsappear much smaller than they should.
The display covers the whole screen on 1600 x 1200 resolution.
Sites like yahoo that usually fill 90% + of the screen, now covers about 60% and looks like an old style website centered with large empty borders.

I will admit that one was working and looked normal, but having simply removed and replaced the Video card, it altered its looks to the same small view as the other.

I have downloaded a nvidia driver from microsoft which in Device Manager, Display adapters is called Dell C840.
It states that 'This device is working properly'.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding the problem.... Everything is small on a 1600x1200 resolution? Yup, that's by design, just the way that a screen works. A 30x30 icon will be bigger on a 600x800 resolution than a 1200x1600. Try lowering the resolution.

TheWern

TheWern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi, if I lower the resolution the visible screen content shrinks to postcard size and leaves a black surround. 1600 x 1200 is the only setting where the image fits the screen