Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using router as access point w/laptop for wireless internet

• Please log in to reply

Chuck37

Chuck37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I just disabled my wireless internet connection, then plugged in my LAN.

Sometimes when I have the LAN working, and I look at Network Connections, I can see the hard drives which are simply labeled Disk 1 and Disk 2. Remember, the HDs are not connected directly to the router. I have them connected to a Linksys NSLU2 network storage link. Then the NSLU2 is connected to the router.

So........when I just disabled the wireless and plugged the LAN back in, I went to Network Places as requested.

There I saw Local Area Network, under which was shown the Dell router and the Linksys storage link. No hard drives were shown there.

When I clicked on the Linksys icon, it just took me to the admin page. When I clicked on the router icon, it took me to the router admin page.

I checked the router IP addresses and found the router is 192.168.2.1, the laptop is 192.168.2.3, and the Linksys unit is 192.168.2.6.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
press start then run then type "cmd" without the quotes

in the window that pops up type:
"route add 192.168.2.6 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1 -p" (without quotes) and press enter
then type
"route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 10.71.0.1 -p" (without the quotes) and press enter

then disconnect the lan and get your wireless working so you can get on the internet...then connect the lan and see if you can get to the hard drives

Chuck37

Chuck37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I entered the first command, and it failed...here is what it said...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Charles Maines>route add 192.168.2.6 mask 255.255.255.
0 192.168.2.1 -p
The route addition failed: The specified mask parameter is invalid. (Destination
& Mask) != Destination.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry my bad

"route add 192.168.2.6 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.1 -p" (without quotes)
that's what it's supposed to be....forgot that i'm routing a device not a subnet (ignore that jabber if you don't know what i'm talking about)

Chuck37

Chuck37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, the first command worked, the second did not. Here is the result...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Charles Maines>route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 10.71.0.
1 -p
The route addition failed: Either the interface index is wrong or the gateway do
es not lie on the same network as the interface. Check the IP Address Table for
the machine.

C:\Documents and Settings\Charles Maines>

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i know why that one failed....ignore that one for now...just go ahead and disconnect from the router and connect to the wireless..make sure you can get to the internet...then plug back into the router and see if you can get to the drives

Chuck37

Chuck37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No change. I went ahead and re-booted the PC and still no change.

I had both the LAN card and wireless card connected. But, could not access the internet, nor did any LAN device show up in Network Connections.

Unplugged the LAN, and could get back on the internet.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
one last try...while connected to the wireless and the lan

press start, then run, then type "cmd" (no quotes) then enter:
"route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 10.71.0.1 -p" (without the quotes) and press enter

if that doesn't work....then:
press start, then run, then type "cmd" (no quotes) then enter:
"route delete 0.0.0.0" (without the quotes) and press enter
and
"route delete 192.168.2.6" (without the quotes) and press enter

this is indicative of trying to network with two routers and two connections in one place....it's rarely successful...but sometimes you can fake it...i think what you would need is a wireless bridge

a wireless access point connects wireless clients to a wired network...where as a wireless bridge connects a wired network to a wireless access point...