Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1525 suddenly shut off and won't turn back on.

• Please log in to reply

deuceswild

deuceswild

• Pip
  • 7 posts
As I've read in other topics, "posting" sometimes works. I have tried this, but the only outcome are flashing media lights (no power LCD light) for half a second and then they turn off. I can turn the power LCD light on when I have the computer plugged into the charger, but not when it's not plugged in. I have to unplug the computer and hold down the power button to turn off the LCD power light on the computer. Since the computer shut down I have not had any success on the screen... (it's been blank the last few hours). I bought the computer about 100 days ago and not sure EXACTLY when it arrived. I know the warranty lasts for 90 days after it arrives and of course about 95 later it suddenly dies on me with no warning. Work and Christmas of course don't help out at all with timing and I'm leaving for college in about a week and a half. This is The Nightmare Before Christmas = ) Was going to back up all my files today since I had a day off of work and this is what happens. Some one-day vacation, huh?

So in short I'm asking for any possible solutions, suggestions, etc. I will appreciate anything you have to say!

Thanks!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Don't actually know what's going on with your laptop, but did you buy this from Dell? Dell's website states 1YR warranty for this model.

deuceswild

deuceswild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, good idea to post that info. I bought this computer refurbished from dell.com on August 26, 2008 and received it sometime around the 10th of September. There's a whole lot to read, so I sure hope I come across a 1-year warranty instead of 90-days because that would save me a whole lot of money that I very much need! There is still the issue of transfering the data from this hard-drive to another one, which better work because I have weeks worth of work on here. Thanks for the idea of posting where/when I bought it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I advise you call Dell today. Explain what's going on. Eventhough companies state 90 days, sometimes they will bend if you call them soon enough. If the tech that answers tries to push you off, ask to speak to the supervisor. Basically try anything to see if they will help you.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well I'd offer to help, but makai did the right thing and referred you to Dell. :)

You can check your warranty status here by putting in the Service Tag from the bottom of the laptop. This will tell you how long you have left on the warranty, and what kind of warranty you have. Chances are that you have a one-year RR contract. RR means "Rapid Response", which is really a misnomer because you will have to send the laptop back to their repair depot in Houston, TX, and they'll ship it back to you when it is fixed. Of course, it is all paid for, but it will take a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure where you got 90 days from, but we no longer offer a 90-day contract. Within 21 days, you can return the laptop for a refund or exchange, but the minimum (and standard) warranty is one year, return to depot.

I would recommend chatting instead of calling to bypass the culture/language barrier. Be aware that Google Chrome is currently not compatible with Dell Chat.

Edited by The Admiral, 12 December 2008 - 04:25 PM.

deuceswild

deuceswild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you so very very much for the response. It was exactly what I needed. Yes, you were correct with the RR contract on the warranty (luckily)! I will use the "chat" feature you sent to me after dinner; it looks like I'll want to do this ASAP so it gets sent back to me ASAP for school. For the record (since I see you're from SL, UT) I'm going to be attending BYU.

I do have one additional question if you end up spotting this post again (or you can just say "I already told you to chat on this other site" [that works])... if I send them laptop do they fix it and send back the same one? With possible new parts? and would the applications, data, files, etc. still be on there? I don't want to lose the files on there and don't want to send it in before I find out if there's something I can do before hand so they don't get erased or tossed out.

Again, thanks so much for the response!! Can't convey how appreciative I am over the internet, but don't let the cliché Thank You! fool you of my gratitude.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
*The Admiral is leaving this thread because he is a U fan.

hehe

Actually, before you send it in, you should remove your hard drive. The hard drive isn't part of the diagnosis process, and the depot has hard drives that they can use if they need to diagnose. here are instructions for removing the hard drive. Removing the hard drive keeps all the data with you, and is standard procedure, so you aren't even breaking the rules.

Yes, when you send it to the depot, they will diagnose the issue and replace the necessary parts. In this case, it is likely to be the motherboard. Then they'll send it back, you pop in your hard drive, and you'll be good to go.

Feel free to ask questions, that's what we're here for.

deuceswild

deuceswild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Haha, in that case what I meant to say was that I am attending the University of Utah... or how about this- I sincerely wish them the best of luck in their bowl game? Does that earn me any brownie points?

2 Questions I can think of right now: 1.If it is the motherboard that they find a problem with (or whatever it is) would I have to pay for it (being replaced) or is that covered in the warranty? 2. Would the warranty be extended another year or only be the ~250 days that I have left?

I assume that I would be paying S/H charges on the computer? Any other charges I might expect?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hehe well we'll see what happens against the Crimson Tide... it's a long shot for sure.

To answer your questions, if it isn't too late:
1) The replacement is covered in the warranty.
2) Your warranty will still only be for the remainder of the contract. Replacement components are warranted for 30 days after replacement, which means that if we replace a part the day before the warranty expires, we will still warrant that part for 30 additional days.
3) Dell will send you a box with packing materials and a prepaid shipping label. Just pack up the laptop, stick the label on the top, and ship it off. All charges are paid by Dell. The only cost to you is the time without your laptop.

deuceswild

deuceswild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:) You are FANTASTIC! :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Thanks for the feedback. :) Consider it insider knowledge. :)

Be sure to report back and let us know how the chat goes!

deuceswild

deuceswild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just finished chatting with the dell representative who said the process would take no longer than 7 business days to ship the computer both ways as well as fixing it! He said (after a few tests) that the motherboard had gone bad and need replacing (just as you said! :) ) This was so very helpful and easy to work out a solution. Thanks very much for the support, suggestions, links, etc. You rock!

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to hear everything went smoothly!

I would recommend, once you get your laptop back and it works and your case is closed, to call Dell and extend your warranty. You said "I know the warranty lasts for 90 days after it arrives and of course about 95 later it suddenly dies on me with no warning." This will happen after 366 days too, so I highly recommend that you extend your warranty and keep your computer protected as long as you can (four years). You saw how well this worked out for you, and if your LCD screen goes bad when your warranty expires, it's going to cost you some serious money to fix it yourself, and more money to have Dell fix it.

Just my two cents. :)

Edited by The Admiral, 13 December 2008 - 03:50 PM.

deuceswild

deuceswild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That is one EXCELLENT suggestion. Could you give me an approximate estimate on the price for warranty extensions? Thanks!

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Actually, no, I can't. I'm not with the warranty extensions group, so I don't have access to that pricing. You could input your service tag here for a list of available extensions and upgrades, and their associated costs. All I know is that it's worth it. ;-) I will tell you that an extension on my laptop (which is currently a 1 yr return to depot) for an additional two years (which makes a total of 3) is a modestly priced $160, and an additional 4 years (which makes a total of five) is only $215. These prices may not be representative of prices offered on your machine, though.

But remember, you won't be able to upgrade or extend if you have an open case, so you have to wait until your laptop is taken care of before extending.

Edited by The Admiral, 14 December 2008 - 01:25 AM.