Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adding sata hdd's to pc

• Please log in to reply

sarkey

sarkey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all , I'm new here and desperate for some help .

I've installed a 2 port sata PCI control card in my pc along with 2 sata hdd's (samsung 320GB)
Now the problem is I cant get the computer to register the drives although they appear
in the Disk management program it shows I have partitioned and formatted them .

Iv'e been stuck on this for 2 days now so any help would be gratefully recieved . :)

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Does your computer have built in SATA? Do you have the proper drivers for the PCI card? Have you tried updating the drivers?

sarkey

sarkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry jt , I realise my post wasn't very specific but thanks for replying.

My mobo(gigabyte GA7VT600L) dont have sata hence the pci card .
I 've loaded the driver and thats recognised because it gives me the option to set up raid 0 or 1 on pressing F4
when requested .

The hdd's dont need drivers according to the samsung website and in the disk management program
it says that both the card and drives are working normally.

My problem is when I try to load my windowsXP onto the drive (after disconnecting my old IDE drive)
it tells me there are no drives connected.

Hope thats a little more specific .

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
No, I meant updated drivers for the PCI card - Sometimes the original driver that gets sent with hardware isn't very good and needs to be updated, so the manufacturer releases a new driver. Also, it sounds like you have a RAID card, are you sure you can use this card as a straight SATA card? Can you post the brand and model number of the card?

sarkey

sarkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again , the card is Silicon Image Sil3512 SATA , it supports either a raid array or 2 independent channels.

I looked at the websitehttp://www.siliconim...duct.aspx?id=29 as your post suggests (thanks) but there are so many different downloads I dont know which one for the best or what to do with it once downloaded.

Edited by sarkey, 13 December 2008 - 01:50 PM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Sorry it took so long for me to get back...

I would try The Second Item on the list - it looks like the most recent driver.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Sorry it took so long for me to get back...

I would try The Second Item on the list - it looks like the most recent driver.

Wouldn't the first one on the list be the latest considering it was released in 2008 and the second item was released in 2007?

sarkey

sarkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok thanks guys , I now think the problem may be that the disk that came with the card has different drivers for raid and non-raid , so I'm actually getting somewhere.

I'll come back if I need any further help .

Cheers

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Wouldn't the first one on the list be the latest considering it was released in 2008 and the second item was released in 2007?

Ah, whoops, my bad :) I didn't see the date there... :)

Sorry I wasn't able to help

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Ah, whoops, my bad :) I didn't see the date there... :)

Sorry I wasn't able to help

Hey, everyone makes mistakes, it wouldn't be fun if people didn't make em. :)