Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting Sata DVD writer

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
What is necessary to connect a SATA DVD Writer to a PC (that has Sata motherboard connections)? A data cable? A power cable?

Am familiar with IDE devices but not SATA.

Bought a Samsung DVD Writer for my son's PC (as a Christmas present) from Newegg but it came w/o a box or any cables/instructions. Went to Samsung's website but the install instructions are minimal. Want to include any cables necessary (what good is a preseny if you can't use iy - or have to buy things before installing?).

His PC is a DELL Dimension 8300.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yes you need a SATA power cable & a data cable. First thing to check is whether the PSU has any SATA connectors on it. If it does then you just need the data cable, unless of course the writer already comes with one.

If the PSU doesn't have a (spare) SATA power connector, you can buy a convertor such as the one shown below:
SATA power adapter

The sata data cable looks like this:
SATA cable

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
This site is one of my favorite sites for buying cables as they are dirt cheap and their customer service is awesome. I have linked you directly to the SATA page.

For example an 18inch SATA cable with a right angle plug (good for CD-ROMs in tight spaces) is $1.10+shipping and the single female molex to SATA power adapter is $0.85+ shipping.

I decided to be nice and see what shipping would be for you (since you filled in your location) and it appears it is 1.80 for USPS first class (3-4 days shipping). Bringing the total to $3.75. Cheaper than you can find just the SATA cable in stores.

If you want me to link to the specific items you will need that is fine too. I'll gladly provide them.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 12 December 2008 - 07:23 PM.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Samm and PedroDaGR8 - THANK YOU both.

I'll check the 'cable site' now - don't expect problems but reserve the right (j/k) to ask for help. Thanks again.