Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something terrible wrong with computer

• Please log in to reply

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi!

I tried to get help from the malware section of this forum and my logs were clear, but not my computer in general.
I was re-directed here for more help.

I had a Windows XP Intel Pentium M (I think that's the computer)
And it's a laptop.

At random times, I get a blue screen when I'm using the computer or when I'm trying to start up my computer (load screens, logging in).

My computer has also gotten extremely slow; it loads x10 slower than it did before I got some weird infection.
The desktop takes a while to load, and around the time it finishes loading, then the music plays (the music you hear when you log in).

My browsers (firefox + IE) both crash at random times (or freeze while I'm doing something minor such as browsing this forum). I'm not sure why.

Everything on my computer has somewhat "reverted":
The background changed to what I had the first day I got the computer.
I hear clicks whenever I hit "start" or when I'm opening a file by double-clicking (didn't hear this before)
All my settings on a game or updates such as on windows media player were turned back into their original state (meaning they were changed back to default compared to my custom changed settings and new update)

I also cannot see any icons or files when I go to "My computer" or "Recycle Bin"
I think this may appear in other files as well.

I suggested restoring my computer back so I wouldn't get these problems, but I realize the furthest my computer can restore to is Tuesday of this week (December 9th) which is 2 days after I had my computer "dying" so I'm not sure if that would damage the computer even more. At least, I think the 9th is the furthest I can return to; on the calender I can't go back to November and the only days "bolded" are the 9th, 10th and today, which are all days that the computer is damaged.

Advertisements

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
not sure why it would just revert all the settings unless you ended up in a different user account, but because of running slow i would suggest checking event viewer for disk errors. start -> control panel -> administration -> event viewer
select system to view the logs. When in control panel make sure it's selected to be in classic view. In even viewer you can go to view->filter and select to look only at errors

Edited by yevgenievich, 12 December 2008 - 08:13 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
With so many problems, I'd simply back up the data, and reinstall Windows.