Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My DVD-R driver doesn't burn DVD+R disks

• Please log in to reply

jungleboy12

jungleboy12

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi, I'm currently using Compaq Presario F731AU Notebook PC and one it's feature is the DVD +/- RW Double Layer Drive.

As of today, the DVD driver works perfect when it reads DVDs, CDs, CD-Rs, or CD-RWs. It can also burn CD-Rs, but NOT DVD-R.

I checked my Device Manager, the driver is registered as HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N. I inserted a Maxwell, DVD+R disk, the driver acknowledges it as DVDRAM driver and when double click the driver and tried to burn a movie into the disk, it can't seem to burn.

What should I do now ? I'm very new in all these computer software and hardware stuff. :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
XP doesn't have ability to burn DVDs. You need 3rd party program.

jungleboy12

jungleboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Broni....but I have a new problem here...my DVD driver do not seem to respond to DVDs and some CDs .Well, the driver appears in My Computer , so has it spoiled or a special driver is needed to read DVDs?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
CD/DVD drives don't need any extra drivers.
What do you mean exactly by "do not seem to respond to DVDs and some CDs"?
Please, be more specific.

jungleboy12

jungleboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, I tried to run some DVD games and movie disks, it doesn't read the disk and when I open the DVD drive ,it's empty. I'm not sure if it is only DvDs ,because prior to this ,it was able to play DVD movies. It also reads some CDs but all . I don't know if the DVD driver has spoiled or it is a very sensitive DVD drive. By the way, the PC with the driver is a Compaq presario F731AU. Hope that helps to learn more about my problem!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Your DVD drive may be just dying, but as the last resort, you can try lens cleaner.

jungleboy12

jungleboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
where do i get lens cleaner? is a software or a special Cd to clean it ?

jungleboy12

jungleboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I tried a DVD game today...apparently ...it seems to be reading the disk very noisyly with tum-tums and weird noises with the green led light blinking on the dvd driver cover, but in the end it stopped and when i checked my dvd driver,nothing again ?

Is it real that my DVD driver is dying? I have not use it for the past 6 months, as I get my sources from the Net. Any other opinions?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can give lens cleaner a shot. It's a special CD with micro brushes. You can get it in any electronic store.

jungleboy12

jungleboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah, I bought and i tried but there sin't a change. The problem still exists,maybe I should give up on this driver. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I think, you're due for a new drive...sorry.

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
same and very annowing problem has occur recently. one dvd drive (recently purchase) work for few months then one day suddenly its didn't detected a dvds but read and burn cds. I'm very surprise and remove it from casing and plug it on another computer. can u imagine What happen? The dvd drive easily read, burn dvds out their. From that day the error is same, I don't know whats the problem? These two pc is their and the dvd drive also. :) :) :) :)
I suppose the o/s is currupted.

worth a try to join those drive in other computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

worth a try to join those drive in other computer.

Basically, that's the only bulletproof way to find out, if the drive is malfunctioning, or not.

Edited by Broni, 23 December 2008 - 10:10 AM.

jungleboy12

jungleboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Oh I am not a computer technician which can remove hardware and simply reconnect it to another place,moreover removing the driver from a laptop,which i have no idea of doing it...but anyway thanks for the advice .

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Right. Removing the drive from laptop is not a big deal, but, because it's laptop, you'd have to find identical laptop to plug it in.