Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive Not Showing

• Please log in to reply

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Here is my Computer Specs

Toshiba Satellite A105
Intel Core 2 T5500 1.66HGHz
1028mb Ram

Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2

TO get down to the skivvy. My dvd drive doesnt show up in Windows XP although I can boot CD/DVDs from it before the OS will load. What happened is a few days ago I come home turn on the computer and the CD Drive was missing after some point. The only thing I can think of is I installed a new game it didnt work and then I uninstalled. After that the CD drive seemed to have disappeared. So today I just got through reinstalling windows xp with the OEM cds that came with my laptop. As soon as the laptop showed up I went to My Computer and it still isnt there. Does anyone know what I can do to get windows XP to see my CD/DVD drive?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try one of these:
1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
or...
2. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on downloaded file, and allow registry merge.
or...
3. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok I went to the microsoft page and tried to follow the onscreen help and the advanced instructions and it looks like I dont have the UpperFilters and LowerFilters in the registry so it doesnt seem like it can work from that source.

I tried the CD Gone, I clicked on the RegEdit, then merged the other one like the readme file said. Still didnt show up.

And I tried the Device Manager you suggested as well and restarted the computer as well. It gave me a message box that said "Windows has finished installing the software needed for the hardware would you like to restart now?" or something of the like and I clicked yes. It restarts and still no CD Drive showing up under My Computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Is it listed in Device Manager?

Edited by Broni, 12 December 2008 - 11:27 PM.

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
No it isnt listed in there at all.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Edited by Broni, 12 December 2008 - 11:59 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try to remove the drive from the laptop. Put it back.

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok I cant seem to find a screwdriver tonight. I will hit it first thing in the morning and hit back the results. Thank you for your help that you're giving me!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok Im not used to fixing hardware with laptop moreso desktops it took me a while to find out there was a metal bracket that I can push down on after removing the secure screw. But to get straight to the point that worked! I dont know what happened that BIOS could see it and Windows couldnt. But once again I would like to say thank you Broni for your help. Kudos and fame to you.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Great news! :)
We can't be sure 100%, but most likely some contact(s) got oxidized, and the connection was lost.