Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Log on/Log off loop

• Please log in to reply

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello, i got another one of those log on log off loop problems. I checked the registry ant it was missing the userinit key. I added it and made sure userinit was located in the system32 folder which it was.
I did have a minor spyware infection lately which i fixed by running few progs. Then i moved to a different hd so i cloned to new hard drive. Booted up once with no problem so i shut it down and erased the old drives. Next day i try to start up the system i get the log on log off loop. Happens in all modes.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should do a repair...lowdown is here...
then a romp thru the malware forum just for grins ...
Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for reply, i wanted to avoid repair install because of the particular os version. I don't think i can even get it to pull up anyway. And for malware i actually already did scans with face for the heck of it and it was zero on all of them. And i know i scanned it with enough stuff before cloning it. I was hoping there was some particular system file or registry key that i'm missing.

Edited by yevgenievich, 15 December 2008 - 10:26 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

i actually already did scans with face

what is this

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
multiple scans with stuff like kaspersky, a-squared, then with different disk i had spyware doctor, spy sweeper, avg, mccafee, adaware...
A bunch of different utilities. I ran stuff like malware bytes, super antispyware, combofix, hijack this, and even tho i don't like it i did scan with norton, had to release a lot of stuff in quarantine like usual because it puts stuff like angry ip scanner in quarantine
face thing is actually been put together by geeksquad and it's like erd commander with spyware and virus scanners.
I think the cd is called mri

Edited by yevgenievich, 15 December 2008 - 11:10 AM.

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Anyway, to update.
Still having same issue. I double checked the registry and userinit.exe file. Everything is set correctly, i did chkdsk and went trough start up services and progs. Problem remains. Repair install is not an option and would like not to do a clean install. Any ideas?

Edited by yevgenievich, 18 December 2008 - 09:53 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Repair install is not an option

why is that... :)

run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
This was installed by specially compiled distro of XP Pro, and even tho i have the original disk it wouldn't let me do repair install. sfc /scannow can't be done due to not being able to log in into the system. And you can't do it from repair console. I haven't searched yet, but maybe there is a utility that can run in erd commander or bart pe that can check the system files.I guess i will do some more searching. Thanks for ideas

Edited by yevgenievich, 19 December 2008 - 09:44 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might want to take a look at UBCD4WIN...it has a registry repair option that I have used successfully many times..
UBCD4Win is based on Bart's PE

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thanks for responses, i never was able to get it to work by editing registry and replacing system files. I found other hd to which i had cloned my whole system for backup few months ago(just now remembered about it) and was able to copy the windows directory over to fix the problem.

Edited by yevgenievich, 10 January 2009 - 12:35 AM.