Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell INSPIRON 5000

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop with 256 MB's or RAM. My brother also has the exact same laptop with 256 MB's of RAM. Can I take out his 256 MB's and add them to my laptop to have 512 MB's of RAM?

If anyone knows, please let me know. Also, I need to know how.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
in theory, yes. it would be worth your doing a search on the components, specifically the mobo, to see if there is an available RAM slot.

I would be very careful about opening up a laptop- things are usually pretty tight in there, and it could be easy to screw something up.
besides, if you steal the ram from the other laptop, then that machine becomes unusable.
probably best to find a shop that can install a stick of ram for you. they will make sure you get the right kind, and the work should be guaranteed.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
The Inspiron 5000 does have two RAM slots, I know that for sure. I also do know that the other pc will become unusable. But it will work?

Also, I found these instructions. http://www.computerm...top-memory.html

Are they good ones?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
provided you have that memory access panel, it should work. like it said, you my need to go into BIOS to allow detection of the new memory.