Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet works, LAN does not

• Please log in to reply

Relave

Relave

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a LAN witth several computers on it. All of them share files etc. All of them connect to the internet via the LAN. I just got a new Compaq with XP home OS. I set it up and plugged in the Cat 5. It connects to the internet, but will not recognize the other PCs on the LAN. The other PCs see the new machine, but when I try to access that machine I am told that I do not have the authority. All my machines are pretty common. Some have XP and some have XP Pro. They seem to co-exist on the LAN. The new PC is the first with PC Home.

I would appreciate any thoughts
Rich

Advertisements

Zhewiz

Zhewiz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Here, try this. Click start -> run -> and type regedit. Now click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> System -> Current Control set -> Control -> Lsa. Now go ahead and click on the Lsa folder to open it. Now double click on the "restrict anonymous" file. Make sure you DON'T click on "restrict anonymoussam" file. Now see if the "value data" box is set to 0 and not 1. If it's set to 1, change it to 0. Now hit okay and then file and exit. Hope this solves it, if not, we'll try something else.

Relave

Relave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The "restrict anonymous" file in LSA item was set to 1. I changed it to 0 and rebooted. Nothing changed. What next?
Rich

Zhewiz

Zhewiz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Could you please give me the exact error message you receive when you try to access the computer. Also, could you check to see if that value is set to 1 or 0 currently.

back2killah

back2killah

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
This article may help.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;281248

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Make sure that one of your computers has not changed itself to administrator like my friends did a couple of months ago. That article posted is very useful.