Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help With Upgrade!

• Please log in to reply

chronicatm

chronicatm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok. I built a computer about 1-2 years ago without knowing much about them.

Here is what I did:

Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)
1 GB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS (256 MB)
Creative Audigy LS Audio Processor

NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller (says this twice)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Windows XP Service Pack 3

I dont know what other information I should put down but I can get it if needed...Just let me know.

I have been playing the new Call of Duty World at War and lately I will get 10 minutes into it before it begins to run poorly. My guess is that I need a better cooling setup?

I came into some money and I am ready to spend some on a PC upgrade!

My motherboard is SLI compatable. Should I get another video card and a good cooling setup? What does everybody recommend? I am afraid to try overclocking and wouldn't try without being sure my computer could handle it with its current cooling setup.

HOW CAN I UPGRADE MY PC?!?!?!? I know I can get more RAM but what else?

Edited by chronicatm, 13 December 2008 - 02:42 AM.

Advertisements

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Getting better cooling would be the first step, because I know that if a computer starts to slow down after a few minutes of gaming, that usually means that the computer is getting hot. More memory would be a good upgrade too especially for COD: WaW. SLI would be a good investment for future games, but it is not mandatory, games should run fine with the card you are using.