Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 processors?

• Please log in to reply

Clinetyme

Clinetyme

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I was running a program that tells me pretty much everything about my PC. I have a Pent 4, 3 gig ...... its telling me that i have 2 processors running, and this isnt a duo core. It says that i have a intel ® and a pentium ® 4 3.00GHz running. Shouldnt i only have 1 processor running?...... Could be a dumb question , but its got me wondering why i have 2 processors running....thx

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi There, ,
First of all, , What program where you running ?

Is your pentium 4 a hyperthreading cpu ? ? If so, , some programs see the hyperthreading cabability as 2 cpu cores when in fact you only have one cpu. This could be what the program is seeing.
Hope this helps, , but to be sure it would help to know which program you are getting the information from, , and if possible, what the model number is on your cpu, , perhaps the program will be able to tell you this information.

Clinetyme

Clinetyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The program is called " can you run this", its a program here in the forum to see if your computer is able to run certain games. Yes my PC has the HT. Will this affect any cpu speed during gaming? Im playing Bioshock and Crysis Warhead on high detail w/ no problems, but im always for freeing up some lag. Thx for the response. I was unable to get the cpu model numbers at this time....

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
There you go then, , thats your answer , you have one single cpu with HT capability, , which is showing in " can you run this " as 2 cores , , but its not two cores, the HT capability is fooling the program into thinking that you have two cores.

A 3ghz pentium 4 cpu with HT is capable of playing the games you have mentioned. Gaming isnt just about cpu speed, but the capability of a system as a whole, ,ie ram cpu, graphics card.
its more a case of what graphics card you have and how much ram etc, , , obviously the better the graphics card the better the game will be, , and the more ram you have, , the better your whole system will be overall.

If you are having problems playing these games, you should start a new thread in the games section or on one of the many other game specific forums out there.
Glad i could help, , good luck, kev