Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to upgrade video card

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I have a Pentium® 4 CPU 1.80 GHz with 512 MB of RAM and I am interested in adding a video card to my PC. The PC's video is onboard and I have found a used PNY Verto GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 PCI-E Graphic / Video Card for sale, cost is $20.00.

My questions are:

Is it even a good idea to be purchasing a used video card from a third party (out of a local classified ad), or am I possibly setting myself up for a lot of frustration by doing it this way versus buying a new video card?

Anything in particular I need to know, or do, to make sure this video card is compatible with my PC?

Also, I will be maxing out my RAM this coming week. Instead of 512 MB, it will be 2 GB (I'm thinking that should be helpful with whatever video card I end up installing).

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Is it even a good idea to be purchasing a used video card from a third party (out of a local classified ad), or am I possibly setting myself up for a lot of frustration by doing it this way versus buying a new video card?

I personally would not buy from a 3rd party because they could be selling you faulty equipment or equipment that is going bad. I would buy from a trusted online vendor.

Anything in particular I need to know, or do, to make sure this video card is compatible with my PC?

Make sure that your computer can support the graphics card. Graphics cards are either AGP, PCI, or PCI-E. So make sure your motherboard has the same connector as the graphics card.

Cheers :)
ROIDO

Edited by =OSS*ROID=, 14 December 2008 - 11:19 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I personally would not buy from a 3rd party because they could be selling you faulty equipment or equipment that is going bad. I would buy from a trusted online vendor.

Make sure that your computer can support the graphics card. Graphics cards are either AGP, PCI, or PCI-E. So make sure your motherboard has the same connector as the graphics card.

Cheers :)
Anton

Thanks for the advice! I'll pass on the used video card and splurge on a new one.