Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual monitor support for laptops

• Please log in to reply

pearl-28

pearl-28

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Do video cards in laptops that will support dual monitor displays? Are any of them standard in off the shelf laptop configurations?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Many manufactures make models that support dual monitors... and yes, many are off the shelf. The best thing to do is read about the laptop your're interested in at the manufacture's website. You can also get a lot of information from laptop review sites like Notebookreview.com, which is very good.

Edited by makai, 13 December 2008 - 05:10 PM.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I don't think you will find many, if any, laptops with true dual monitor support. The most you can expect is to use the laptop monitor plus one external display. There may be laptop docking stations that support dual monitors.

Edited by Gnomad1600, 13 December 2008 - 06:31 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I don't think you will find many, if any, laptops with true dual monitor support. The most you can expect is to use the laptop monitor plus one external display.

You know, you're right! I guess it depends on what the OP means by "dual monitor". I guess we'll see when she returns.

pearl-28

pearl-28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I mean getting a larger screen footprint by using two monitors. For instance, on one side you might be writing a report that you want open and the other side querying a database or using the Internet. However, I was just looking at laptops in Costco and noticed that you can buy a single huge monitor for the same price or less than my ancient flat screen monitor cost in 2003. I wonder if that would work just as well.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I mean getting a larger screen footprint by using two monitors. For instance, on one side you might be writing a report that you want open and the other side querying a database or using the Internet. However, I was just looking at laptops in Costco and noticed that you can buy a single huge monitor for the same price or less than my ancient flat screen monitor cost in 2003. I wonder if that would work just as well.

You didn't exactly answer the question. Do you want two LCD monitors BESIDES your laptop screen or do you want one external monitor PLUS your laptop screen (to make two monitors). The latter is common and relatively easy to do.

pearl-28

pearl-28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The latter, (laptop + external) would be fine. What would be the operational difference between using two monitors for working with several programs, versus a "giant" monitor. (My current monitor is, I think 17" which I thought was large at the time.) Thanks!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

The latter, (laptop + external) would be fine. What would be the operational difference between using two monitors for working with several programs, versus a "giant" monitor. (My current monitor is, I think 17" which I thought was large at the time.) Thanks!

Most people just like being able to fill up one FULL screen with one thing and they other having assorted stuff. I know a lot of graphic artists love to have one screen be their work and the other have all of their brushes, tools, colors etc.

I think it is an organizational thing and just something about the way people use monitors.

That being said, since you already have a 17" external + the laptop screen, you have enough to set it up right there. It is up to you on if you want a larger screen than the 17".

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 13 December 2008 - 09:25 PM.

pearl-28

pearl-28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Great! The graphic artist analogy is spot on. I don't have the laptop yet. As we speak I'm shopping for something to replace my Dell 4600 (1.5 gig ram, 40 gig drive) which has run out of disk space, and I don't think it's worth upgrading. So what do you need to set it up?