Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore Disks

• Please log in to reply

trickspot

trickspot

• Pip
  • 5 posts
First, let me explain: A few months ago I bought a new laptop from Best Buy, and since (aside from installing antivirus and spyware protection programs) I didn't know what things I needed to add to a new computer, I paid Best Buy to do all those for me, and also bought a warranty plan. Some months later I encountered a problem with my laptop and brought it in, then I found out I had a bad hard drive. They were able to replace it, and I just got it back recently, but they didn't do any of the preliminary stuff they did before (i.e. installing antivirus program), but I do have the restore disk they made for me when they initially set up my laptop. Now, my question is, instead of figuring out what I need to put back into my laptop, can I just use the restore disk on it? If so, how would I go about using it (I have Widows Vista Home Basic btw). If not, then what essentials should I have on my laptop?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
My opinion...

Since you paid BestBuy to install the "other" apps when you purchased your laptop and, you purchased an extended warranty, then I would think BestBuy is responsible to execute the warranty by reinstalling the apps for you again... after all, you paid for it!

Bestbuy is known for ripping people off this way, so if it were me (which it would never be!), I would go back to Bestbuy and complain my head off! Gee... I've seen this so many times, and I hate how they operate!

As for your other question...

Now, my question is, instead of figuring out what I need to put back into my laptop, can I just use the restore disk on it? If so, how would I go about using it (I have Widows Vista Home Basic btw). If not, then what essentials should I have on my laptop?

Go see if Bestbuy will put those apps back on your computer for you first. If you use the recovery disks and... they don't work... you will be in another fix! Call Bestbuy, better yet, go to the store and see the manager and get what you paid for.

Good luck!
makai

Edited by makai, 13 December 2008 - 07:06 PM.