Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best all around laptop

• Please log in to reply

Falconers

Falconers

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I will be graduating from High School at the end of the year, and am going to get a laptop for college. I would like to run farely speedy and be able to play higher end games (WOW) i also wish it to have support in case it breaks. I have had an HP before this and was not exactly pleased with the service i recieved there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My Granparents offered 1200 towards the computer and I would pay a little more to get the right one thank you.

Advertisements

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
The Dell XPS M1530 is a great all around laptop. When you customize it, jus up the graphics card to the 8600M GT so that it will be able to play higher end video games. The final price will be $1,199.

Cheers :)
ROIDO

Edited by =OSS*ROID=, 14 December 2008 - 04:49 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

The Dell XPS M1530 is a great all around laptop. When you customize it, jus up the graphics card to the 8600M GT so that it will be able to play higher end video games. The final price will be $1,199.

ROIDO

DOn't forget to get a decent warranty on your laptop. I can't begin explain the amount of crazy stuff that happened to my laptop while in college. Luckily I had a 3 yr accidental damage type warranty on it. Oh yeah and when in college MAKE BACKUPS REGULARLY. I can't count the number of term papers I lost thanks to a crazy party or an idiot tripping on the cord or network cable (wireless was not an huge thing yet in 1999-2000, when I started).

Get ready to enjoy some awesome times and some of the CRAZIEST stress you ahve ever experienced in your life. Up for three days studying non-stop with friends, etc. During finals week we would go home for one hour every two days to take a shower and change, otherwise we would sleep on the floor in the library. It was stressful but in hind sight I loved every bit of it.

Falconers

Falconers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thank you for the info guys, but I was wondering if anyone had any experince with dells support staff.

Thank you

Edited by Falconers, 14 December 2008 - 05:43 PM.

Falconers

Falconers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have another question. I don't see an option for the 32 bit windows vista, so is the 64 bit edition going to slow my computer down or will it be fine?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

i have another question. I don't see an option for the 32 bit windows vista, so is the 64 bit edition going to slow my computer down or will it be fine?

Nope, it will not slow your computer down at all. I run 64-bit Vista Ultimate and love it (it allows me to use all 4GB of ram whereas 32-bit does not).

Falconers

Falconers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ty

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Dell support staff is pretty good. I used to own an XPS 400 and the service was amazing with it. I still own an Inspiron E1705 and they are very quick to respond to your questions. Also, the 64-bit will do the opposite, it will speed up your computer, and some programs actually take advantage of the 64-bit architecture and that program will be very fast. I currently run 64-bit vista and it is amazing. Hope I answered your questions.

ROIDO