Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic restart with a BSOD

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have Windows XP Professional with SP3 and all the latest updates installed.

My issue here is that, even though I have the option UNCHECKED for an automatic restart following a BSOD, yesterday my computer blue screened and then automatically rebooted. Because of this reboot, I don't know what the error code was. My system has seemed to be running fine since the BSOD, so I'm not worried about that. What I am worried about, however, is that my computer automatically restarted even though I have the option unchecked. Has anyone had a similar issue before?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
open Event Viewer go to Start ... Run...and type eventvwr.msc click OK or press enter

Check your Application and System logs for errors...

double click on any error for more details...look to see the name of the problem application and there is also a button to copy the error to your clipboard for easy copying & pasting.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks for the reply, happyrock. But I'm not looking for the blue screen error codes. I'm trying to find out why my computer would reboot after a blue screen if I have the option unchecked for it to do so.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the errors may give us a clue...otherwise it could be ram..heat...dust buildup...UPS...motherboard or 20 other issues...
good luck with it