Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with my new Dream Machine

• Please log in to reply

azguy82

azguy82

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Here are the specs on what I am running

ASUS P6T DELUXE MOTHERBOARD
INTEL i7 940 (2.93ghz)
2gb x2 patriot 1600mhz ddr3
BFG GTX 280 O.C. Edition
Ultra X3 1000w Power Supply
HDs: 80gig primary 260gig secondary
Operating System: XP Media Center ED

At this time I plan on taking the memory back and switching to 3x 1gig tri-channel memory but haven't got around to it yet

Anyway... I originally bought the Intel DX58SO motherboard and was having all kinds of problems with it just freezing up (no activity of any kind) and when it didnt do that it would just reset itself entirely.

So today I switched to the asus p6t motherboard and can now say that I am not getting the completely random freezes or resets (that I have noticed), but the freeze while trying to do anything demanding is still there. Example Half-Life2 at maxed settings seems to pick a different spot every time (and fairly quick). Gothic III is in the same situation, however I can make it reproduce this system hang at will if I hit escape through all of the 6 into scenes that [bleep] game has... It shows menu screen and the second after that... BAM! I got nothing.... and it will sit there forever with zero Hard Drive activity. Sometimes it black screens sometimes it doesn't... seems pretty random except for the fact that it reproduces this error consistently.

Any random suggestions as to why this is happening. Bad power supply maybe ? is my 940 retarded ? I thought for sure the motherboard swap would fix it because another error the dx58so had is it would hang up on the post sometimes after one of those freezes, but I guess not.... I'm lost..

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Here are the specs on what I am running

ASUS P6T DELUXE MOTHERBOARD
INTEL i7 940 (2.93ghz)
2gb x2 patriot 1600mhz ddr3
BFG GTX 280 O.C. Edition
Ultra X3 1000w Power Supply
HDs: 80gig primary 260gig secondary
Operating System: XP Media Center ED

At this time I plan on taking the memory back and switching to 3x 1gig tri-channel memory but haven't got around to it yet

Anyway... I originally bought the Intel DX58SO motherboard and was having all kinds of problems with it just freezing up (no activity of any kind) and when it didnt do that it would just reset itself entirely.

So today I switched to the asus p6t motherboard and can now say that I am not getting the completely random freezes or resets (that I have noticed), but the freeze while trying to do anything demanding is still there. Example Half-Life2 at maxed settings seems to pick a different spot every time (and fairly quick). Gothic III is in the same situation, however I can make it reproduce this system hang at will if I hit escape through all of the 6 into scenes that [bleep] game has... It shows menu screen and the second after that... BAM! I got nothing.... and it will sit there forever with zero Hard Drive activity. Sometimes it black screens sometimes it doesn't... seems pretty random except for the fact that it reproduces this error consistently.

Any random suggestions as to why this is happening. Bad power supply maybe ? is my 940 retarded ? I thought for sure the motherboard swap would fix it because another error the dx58so had is it would hang up on the post sometimes after one of those freezes, but I guess not.... I'm lost..

Ok, lets test your CPU and Memory to see if either of these are causing the error.

CPU testing: Download Prime95 (found in my sig) on your computer. Also, download a program like Motherboard Monitor, Everest Free, or Speedfan to monitor the temperatures of your processor. Prime95 will stress test your CPU to see if you can isolate the problem to the CPU. Run Prime95 while monitoring temperatures and see if it crashes your system or the system gets really hot (check online to see how hot your processor can run when stressed).

Ram testing: Download Memtest86+(in my sig again), choose the iso option out of the several you can download, and burn it to cd. You have to burn the image to the CD, not just copy the iso file to the CD. If you don't have a burning program, check out the free iso burning program in my signature, ImgBurn. A great tutorial on how to use ImgBurn to burn an iso to a cd properly (If it doesn't take you right ot that part of the page scroll about half way down the page as the page covers two different programs). Also, you may need to go into your BIOS and set the boot priority of the CD-Drive to the first position (many set the HD first).

If both of these run fine, then we will look elsewhere for problems. That being said, usually I say look at PSU first because a lot of people have low quality PSUs but the Ultra x3 1000w psus have tested to be pretty rock solid PSUs. Therefore I say we look elsewhere first.

If you have any questions or any of this is confusing feel free to ask me.

EDIT: Hit send to early (wasn't thinking) so I cleaned it up and added an instruction dealing with the BIOS.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 13 December 2008 - 09:56 PM.

azguy82

azguy82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks Pedro I will give all that a shot and see what it stirs up and post the results

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

thanks Pedro I will give all that a shot and see what it stirs up and post the results

I forgot to mention. Please let each of these programs run 6 hrs atleast (unless they cause a crash). I tend to run mine for 24hrs for stress testing, that way they experience one circadium temperature swing of the house. I've had computers that would run all day and crash only at night and visa versa. 6 hrs though should be the minimum.

azguy82

azguy82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well I've attached a few things to this reply that might be interesting. As far as temperature changes of Arizona in the winter time; it is pretty fair... So much so I don't run heat or a/c.

the memtest86 did not find any errors in the 30 minutes it took to complete 1 cycle

I chose to use speedfan because motherboard monitor did not have support for this "brand new" motherboard and Everest brought me a nice blue screen for Christmas :)

the images uploaded are BOTH while prime95 was doing its thing. However the little mini image of a real bad scenario is from me booting up 2 seperate instances of my Academic version of AutoCAD and telling it to "flatten" 200 3D objects (VERY VERY demanding... so much so I doubt any game could match that system draw)

I think the worse temp I saw was 127 degrees..... To me that doesn't sound bad at all considering I asked it to commit suicide.

*sigh* starting to wander if this new Intel line just isn't very compatible with games. I would be looking at the graphics card causing the problem but Gothic III was crashing long before it got anywhere near putting it to real use.

Anyway I'm leaving prime95 running to see what happens

Attached Thumbnails

• 55.jpg
  • stats3.jpg

Attached Files