Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router fixed but still can't connect to internet---now ge

• Please log in to reply

dsrogers

dsrogers

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My main computer using Norton 360, I was using an outdated version of other norton software, I upgraded to Norton 360 and then had problems with my laptop connecting to my network for printing. I use a wireless G router, WRT54G version 6. I tried to problem solve and totally lost the network connection.

I called Linksys and they got my laptop back onto the network by changing my IP address and the DNS. I now show connection to the internet but I get the error message of "res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#" and I can't connect to the internet on the laptop. I can connect to the internet on the main computer and the other laptops that I run. It is only the one that had the IP/DNS changed that I can't connect with.

I tried changing the IP address and DNS back to the configuration for Windows to determine automatically but I lost the network again. I changed back to the info Linksys gave me, and I show the active network connection, but again no internet.

Help is appreciated. Linksys states that this is not their problem as they are able to get me connected to the internet, they state to call my computer company or take the computer in for servicing to get the DNS number corrected.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Have you tried both the wireless and local area connection on the notebook? When you use the auto addressing, what IP numbers is your connection being assigned? (Open the connection and click on the support tab, the address will be listed there). The manual addressing will work if you check the backdoor of your router and use the DNS numbers that it has been assigned by your ISP, then your internet should become available, but.... :)

I hate to tell you, but Norton 360 does not "trust" your network unless you tweak it so that it will. Check its manual for how to do this. You may want to consider downgrading from Norton to something not so top heavy, Free AVG or Avast. You will also notice improved performance in your systems.

Hope this helps..

dsrogers

dsrogers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks, that took care of...As soon as I disabled Norton 360, I had connection.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Thanks, that took care of...As soon as I disabled Norton 360, I had connection.

Seems that norton is blocking your internet connection or the port in which your internet is coming in on. Odd considering there's a hardware Norton firewall in all (or atleast mot) linksys routers. You'd think that it'd be trusted. Regardless if you wish to keep using Norton, go into your firewall settings when your trying to connect to the router (with the norton enabled) and check to see if it's blocking your internet.

However, Norton's really a system hog, and free security isn't such a bad option. Avast is good, AVG (as mark d said) I've never tried but have heard good things about. If you're running a 32 bit Operating System ZoneAlarms Free is good (but gets alittle irritating since it asks you if everything going in and out of your computer is ok, but thats pretty secure). If you're running a 64bit Operating system you can use Comodo Firewall. There's dozens more then this but these are good starting points.

avast! (Home Edition, under free software) - http://www.avast.com/
AVG - http://free.avg.com/
ZoneAlarms Free - http://www.zonealarm...ee-firewall.htm
Comodo Firewall (Works with both 32bit and 64bit) - http://www.personalf...d_firewall.html