Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will 939 cooler fit on AM2+ socket?

• Please log in to reply

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I just installed an AMD 5400+ cpu on an ECS AM2+ motherboard. The stock heatsink and fan are pretty loud. I have a Zalman copper heatsink from my socket 939 AMD board . The retainer on the new motherboard looks similar to the 939 retainer. If there's enough space for it, wiil the Zalman work on my new board? Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello bruceb3...

Most of the Zalman coolers will fit several socket types with the hardware they provide. However, without knowing just what cooler you have, it's pretty hard to tell you for sure whether yours will fit an AM2 socket or not. I have used the 9300 and 9500 series coolers on AM2 sockets.

If you can find your cooler HERE, have a look at the specs for it and see if it will fit your socket/processor.

wannabe1

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The brackets for 939 and AM2 are virtually identical. The sockets look the same size (940 pins on AM2 compared to 939 pins on a Socket 939 platform) so theoretically it should be possible.