Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power is connected but PC will not power up!

• Please log in to reply

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Gateway XP about 4 years old. Power is connected. Absolutely no response when I press the power on button (which does light up). Worked fine yesterday. Not sure if powered off last evening or left on over night. This morning absolutely nothing. No beeps. No fan. No sound whatsoever.

I don't know if this is relevant, but this PC is the main computer on my wireless network. The router is on and has enabled me to sign on to the Internet (and your website) with my laptop.

If dead, is it possible to retrieve programs and data to transfer to another computer???

Edited by JCastaldi, 14 December 2008 - 11:24 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Data yes, programs no.

Take the power supply from a working computer and plug it to the board inside the gateway and see if it comes on. If it works, that's all you need to get it going again.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
It was the power supply. I replaced it. Up and running. Thanks.

As to the other question, by backing up independently from the PC (another hard drive, DVD or flash drive), will that enable one to save the programs to transfer to another PC? We have games purchased on the internet and no installation CD. Trying to figure how to rescue those if the computer's motherboard dies or the PC crashes and needs a hard drive reformat.