Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Internet connection issues

• Please log in to reply

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
At my house we have a dlink wireless n router pushing dsl internet to the rest of the house. No one seems to have any trouble connecting except for my dad. His Desktop computer uses a dlink wireless n usb adapter and his laptop has whatever the default was for toshiba about 2 years ago. He is on the other end of the house. We thought that maybe he was just too far away from the router, but he took his laptop just around the corner from the router and still lost connection. He is having issues on 2 different computers, both the same problem, random internet.

I have been running a constant ping to the router for about the last 10 minutes and for the most part response time looks great at 2ms.. but on occasion it will drop to the 2,3 and 4 hundreds then will go to the 1000's then drop altogether, but only for about 5 minutes or so. I thought maybe he had some kind of malware on the computer as he has in the past had trouble with xp antivirus 07/08 among other various viruses and trojans. But an updated MBAM, SAS, SpyBot S&D, and Eset scans all come up clean. Generally if there is something there then one of these catches it.

Does anyone know of anything that would cause the random internet failures?

Also note that i have a Mac desktop just inches from dad's pc desktop. the Mac has no connection issues at all. My brother has a PC desktop about 20 feet closer to the router than my dad's is, no connections issues there either. again, he took his laptop out next to the router and still lost connection.

any ideas?

Edited by SomeCrazyStuff, 14 December 2008 - 01:21 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try to hardwire dad's laptop to the router, or modem?

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
hard wire to the router works perfectly..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Does your dad's laptop use built-in network adapter, or external card?
Any errors in Device Manager regarding network adapter/
Did you try to reinstall the driver?

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
havent tried the drivers as its on 2 different computers using different connection media.
The laptop uses built it wireless
no errors in Device Manager nor event log

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What do you mean by "different connection media"?
Also, when you hardwired, was it hardwired to the router, or to the modem?

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
hardwired to the router
different connection media: i meant that the desktop uses a usb wireless adapter and the laptop uses builtin wireless.. the built in wireless is a chip.. different than a usb stick..

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
ok heres something stranger.. I thinking that the router is the issue because i brought my laptop back here and it lost connection, But the odd thing is it didn't lose connection until after being back here for about 2 hours.. the previous 2 hours it worked great.. matter of fact i have been gaming online on it... but just now it started cycling internet connection...

sureley this doesn't me that the router is having broadcasting issues because i have never had a problem bringing my laptop back here before.. There has to be something causing signal interference... right?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suspect router going bad, and believe me, I've seen situations where some computers on the same router were connecting without a problem, but some others weren't.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
ok but the router is only a few months old.. surely it isnt going bad already?

Advertisements

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
thinking about your last comment broni.. that doesnt makes sense to me...

If it were the router going bad, then why is it just dads computers that is having trouble? mine only had trouble when i got it back on the other side of the house... until then mine works perfectly.. and is right now, back in my room next to the router...

again i think signal interference...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I've seen hardware being bad, straight from the box, but still, this is only my opinion about router going bad.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You brought your dad's laptop closer to the router, and it still had a problem, correct?

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
well.. he says near the router it didnt work.. when i brought it i didnt try the wireless.. just plugged in directly...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try wireless, being close to the router.