Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Overclock Makes Lag

• Please log in to reply

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I overclock my CPU and it makes CS:S kinda jittery i undue the clock and its fine. what could it be?

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I overclock my CPU and it makes CS:S kinda jittery i undue the clock and its fine. what could it be?

A WIDE range of things can cause this. Is it with ALL graphics games or only ones that you connect to on the internet. Do you have an AGP or PCIe or PCI video card?

The reason I ask is because you need to lock down all of the buses besides the FSB when you overclock, otherwise you start overclockign these other buses and you start getting errors on these buses. Which COULD cause your stuttering, this is the FIRST thing that comes to mind. PCI is one of the more important ones to lock down which your network card often uses. It tends to be REALLY sensitive to variations in frequency.

What mobo are you using, processor, ram etc? The more info the better.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Could be an overheating problem too. Maybe you are overclocking a little bit to much for your cpu cooler to handle. But like Pedro said, the more info. the better.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I am runnin pci e ati 800x. buying 9800 soon. 2g of ram. 2g amd dual core. zalman coolin. its not overheating

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I am runnin pci e ati 800x. buying 9800 soon. 2g of ram. 2g amd dual core. zalman coolin. its not overheating

I doubt it is overheating, honestly. I have a suspicion you have not locked the other busses. What is the make and model of the motherboard in your computer. I can look and tell you exactly how to lock the buses to see if that helps.

Also, I assume you mean an nVidia 9800 not the old ATI 9800 :).

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Yes the Nvidia lol

DFI LanParti Unltra D NF4 - MOBO

Amd 3800 2.01g dual core

using
cpuz and clockgen

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Yes the Nvidia lol

DFI LanParti Unltra D NF4 - MOBO

Amd 3800 2.01g dual core

using
cpuz and clockgen

OK I looked online and I can't find a bios map but somewhere in the BIOS you need to set the PCIe frequency to 101MHz (not 100 for some weird reason).
It will be under the PCI eXpress Frequency section.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I did this set-up seemed to help. no bios work just clock gen. should i up it anymore?
Posted Image

Edited by HamburgrHelpr08, 15 December 2008 - 12:03 AM.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
woops did not overclock enough lets try again ill boost voltage this time to

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

woops did not overclock enough lets try again ill boost voltage this time to

Is it still doing the stuttering or is that resolved with the that program? In this program, you may need to keep the clock at 100Mhz, I think in the bios you set it to 101 to get it to actually do 100Mhz, basically a bug in the bios.

Advertisements

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Ok So as u can tell i overclocked the PCIe to 101 in the BIOS. And turned up the voltage to 1.4 and the cpu to 2.4 and it still has the problem. Its mainly other players are jittery. Should I up the PCIe a lil more and see if it helps.
Posted Image

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Reading this says uping th PCIe does not help performance but still wondering if it will fix my problem should i try it or can it hurt something

http://www.nbsgaming.com/PCIEBus.html

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Reading this says uping th PCIe does not help performance but still wondering if it will fix my problem should i try it or can it hurt something

http://www.nbsgaming.com/PCIEBus.html

No, it doesn not help it nor should you try it as it some say it can damage stuff attached to the PCIe bus or the PCIe bus chips themselves can be damaged.

If it is other players, does the stuttering disappear when you play games that do not involve a network connection? I have a suspicion that we maybe to isolate this to the network connection not being able to handle the overclock somehow, which would not be entirely surprising.

Have you tested your overclock using programs like Prime95? The only temperature though that I see out of wack is your northbridge is hotter than your CPU.

Try running Prime95 and keep an eye on the temps of both the CPU and the northbridge. If they get really high we may have isolated the problem. Otherwise I need the above question answered, you can use something like 3dmark to test out if it renders smoothly with no network connection.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 15 December 2008 - 10:34 PM.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
its not network cause it goes away right after i take th clock off. so i just went into the bios and updated to FSB to 240 instead of 200 and it has no jitters and seems fine. Is it the same as having a 2.4 now? here is the screen shot.
Posted Image

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

its not network cause it goes away right after i take th clock off. so i just went into the bios and updated to FSB to 240 instead of 200 and it has no jitters and seems fine. Is it the same as having a 2.4 now? here is the screen shot.
Posted Image

If the stuttering disappeared with using the BIOS (which is the PROPER way to OC by the way :) ) then I just suspect it is the program. It still could have been the network (the FSB controls a range of buses speeds) but in this case it is not. I am glad you fixed it. NOW you Prime95 to test out your OC to make sure that your OC is stable. JUST BECAUSE IT BOOTS INTO WINDOWS, DOES NOT MEAN IT IS STABLE. It can stress ALL of your cores and will undergo a range of COMPLEX calculations that it uses to look for missed calculations. Even ONE error means your overclock is not stable and needs to be backed off a little bit. Along with that, you can test your RAMs stability using Memtest86+. Having OCed before, these two programs have been INDISPENSABLE in weeding out system instability. When I thought I was at a stable point I would let Prime95 for 24hrs (you would be suprised how many errors appear around hour 18 for some weird reason). The same thing with memtest, I would run it for 24 hrs and if both passed I knew I had a rock solid stable OC and felt good leaving it there.

Both programs can be located in my sig and you NEED to test out the stability. You have to remember if you have only occasional errors (1 every 12 hrs or so), you may not catch it by errors in the system but when writing to the HDs the errors can accumulate over time and corrupt the system and require a reinstall.

These programs ALSO allow you to back off the voltage on both the Northbridge and the CPU to produce as little heat as possible (making your device last longer hopefully). TO me OCing is an art so please don't do it badly or halfway. Test out the stability and modify to your hearts desire.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 15 December 2008 - 10:47 PM.