Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Overclock Makes Lag

• Please log in to reply

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
thanks man ill try it and tell ya. thanks so much

Advertisements

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
is this prime95 really gonna take 24hrs i am doing it right now

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

is this prime95 really gonna take 24hrs i am doing it right now

You can run it for 12 but I have had a lot of errors appear at around hour 18 for some weird reason.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
its at 26% lol. can i pause it?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

its at 26% lol. can i pause it?

You can do other stuff while it is running. THat shouldn't be a problem. Memtest on the other hand you can't, just to fore warn you.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I am doing other stuff while running but if i press Ctrl Alt Del and look at CPU usage it is at 100% while Prime is running an about 10 when prime is paused

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Can u look and my CPU stuff to see how it did online. my nickname for the Prime 95 account is: markusj longin is: hamburgrhelpr

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
and how do u do the memtest

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I'll look at the website later tonight and see if anything stands out. I am helping my wife with some graphics for her journal article she is writing (she and I are both chemists) but figured I would drop in and let you know I hadn't forgotten about you.

As for memtest86+ you will burn it to a CD (don't just copy the file you need a program that can burn images). For example, Nero or my favorite free program ImgBurn(found in my sig) or something like that. In case you didn't know, an ISO is a bit for bit copy of the files on a disc.

A good tutorial on how to use ImgBurn can be found here. It gives you step by step instructions for how to burn an ISO file using ImgBurn (with pictures).

Once you have burned the disc. Set your computer to boot from CD first before booting from HD, this can be found in the boot priority section of the BIOS. Boot from this CD and it will run and test your RAM. Let it run for 24 hrs (ideal) which will be several complete full tests. You will not have use of your computer during this time so plan it in a period that causes you the least inconvenience. Along with that, if you get even a SINGLE error in this then you have a problem in your RAM subsystem.

Good luck.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
thats what i figured. can u burn to DVD instead of cd? ill try it.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

thats what i figured. can u burn to DVD instead of cd? ill try it.

Yeah DVD or CD will SHOULD work.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
i just tried it. did not work. do i burn the iso or the files in the iso. the folder labeled boot. or the files inside. i burnt them all to a disc assuming that whatever one would make it boot it would find i tried to boot and it said Boot form cd: then just went into windows

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

i just tried it. did not work. do i burn the iso or the files in the iso. the folder labeled boot. or the files inside. i burnt them all to a disc assuming that whatever one would make it boot it would find i tried to boot and it said Boot form cd: then just went into windows

You have to use a program that can burn from an image to create a disc, not just the files. Sometimes just burning from the files works and sometimes it doesn't and I have no clue why.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
ok i tried nero ill try it again or try imgburn

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Test complete with Zero errors :]]] thanks for your help. dont forget to check out my prime