Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Ultimate 64 freezes at BIOS / F2 splash screen

• Please log in to reply

Hanzi

Hanzi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all,

I need some help with my system. Please forgive me as this may have already been covered elsewhere.
I currently have a cold / flu as I write this and don't have the energy to read through many of the postings here to find someone that has had a similar problem.

Here are the basics:

Intel D975XBX2 Mb
Intel qx6700 Quadcore
8gb Corsair DDR2-800 ram
WD 500gb primary
3 WD 500gb in RAID 5
eVGA 9600

Vista Ultimate 64bit

This system was put together about 6 months ago and had been running fine everyday. Yesterday, when booting up, the system froze at the BIOS / F2 screen and that's where she sits. I have restarted the system a couple of times since and it freezes at the same place every time. If I were thinking a little more clearly I would have the patience to do some reading but I need to get that system up and running as quickly as possible.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
Thanks...

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
My first suggestion would be to take out the CMOS battery, then put it back in to see if it resets itself.

I have the same mother board and two 500GB hard drives (D: mirroring C: )
System Model: D975XBX2
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU

I finally gave up with Raid configuration continually needing to repair itself, and disabled that function in the Bios.
I didn't try the battery trick, but I when I think back, I wonder if that would have 'fixed' the problem.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The computer that hangs on the POST screen cannot be a Windows issue, it will be a hardware issue. Windows does not control the BIOS/POST screen.

Hanzi

Hanzi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Jacee, Neil...

Thanks for your replies. I will try the CMOS battery first.
It's somewhat bothering that it has run fine for months and then out of nowhere it freezes on me.
After that I'll trim my system down and reboot adding additional pieces of hardware until the same happens;
if it happens.

Again, thanks for your replies and suggestions!

Hanzi

Hanzi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Replaced CMOS battery...
everything worked fine after booting up!

Thanks again...