Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading to XP from win 98

• Please log in to reply

coffeemanpj

coffeemanpj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i own a dell desk top running win 98, P-3 600mhz,128 ram, and approx 10 gb HD open. i have tried to update to XP Office with no luck. i'm have tried to install over win 98 and have now removed all of the old software(98) still no luck. i have deleted almost anything and everything i can think up.

is my system able to run XP , is there anything short of wiping clean the HD and starting over.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Your computer meets the requirements for being able to install Windows XP, but your system will be very slow unless you install more RAM.

How did you uninstall Windows 98? You say you've tried it with no luck. What does that mean exactly? At what point does the install crash, or are you not even able to get it started?

Give us more detailed information about your problem and we may be able to assist you.

Let us know......