Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help please

• Please log in to reply

clenz

clenz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all,
I'm new the site, and stumbled across it via Google. I'm looking to get a new computer. I currently use a Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook. It was given to me as a high school graduation gift by my parents in 2006. I like my laptop, but have found that I prefer desk tops. I have been doing some research and seem to have narrowed my search some, however, I'm not sure.

I am a JR in college, and am on a tight budget, which is playing a large factor in my decision. My school has a deal with Dell to get pretty good savings on certain models. I can get the Optiplex 755 Minitower for $838 instead of $1,202 or I can get the Optiplex 755 Small Form Factor for $838 instead of $1,252. However, I have heard that the Dell Inspiron 530 is a very good PC as well. Obviously I would like to upgrade certain specs to make the computer better, but this is where I need help. I can get my way around the computer fairly well, however, I don' t know much about what to upgrade, and how far....or even if I should get it with Vista or spend the extra $120 on the 530 and get it with Windows XP.

I don't do a lot of gaming on my PC, however, I never really have had a great gaming computer. I do most of my gaming on my XBOX 360, so I'm not too concerned about my sound card or video card or anything. I don't want it to look and sound like garbage though. I spend most of my time on the internet, I do play games on the internet, like addictinggames.com and things of that nature, however, I'm not a WoW player or anything like that.

Being in college I do a lot of Word processing, and write a lot of papers, presentations, etc...

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to stay under $1,000 if possible. I might be willing to go $100 or $200 over that if it is an extremely good upgrade that shouldn't be passed on.

Advertisements

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Are you willing to go with a different Dell model or are you only looking to stay with the Inspiron 530 or the Optiplex 755. Let me know and I'll start working on a good configuration.

Cheers :)
ROIDO

clenz

clenz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Are you willing to go with a different Dell model or are you only looking to stay with the Inspiron 530 or the Optiplex 755. Let me know and I'll start working on a good configuration.

ROIDO

I will go with any model as long as it stays in my price range. I'll post what I had for my 530, and you tell me what you think would be best. I'm so lost when it comes to this stuff

clenz

clenz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Here is what I have set up on the 530

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q6600 (8MB L2, 2.4GHz, 1066FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007
WARRANTY & SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosic
MONITOR 20 inch E207WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
MEMORY 6GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
HARD DRIVE 640GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB supporting HDMI
SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse---I ALREADY HAVE A WIRELESS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD, NO REASON TO PAY FOR ONE
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included

My Software & Accessories
SPEAKERS No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)----I HAVE A SET OF SPEAKERS, NO REASON TO BUY ONE
ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
My Service

REMOTE ACCESS Dell Remote Access, free basic service
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM

MODEM No Modem Option
Mouse Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
PHOTO AND MUSIC SOFTWARE No Entertainment software pre-installed
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP DataSafe included with DellCare Service bundle

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
alright, show me what you had for the 530. I just found a really good Dell Studio Desktop which I think would be perferct for your needs. It costs $949. Here is a link to the configuration process of it. http://configure.us....top-studio-mini . The only thing I would recommend upgrading would be the speakers. Get the Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer. These will make your system sound A LOT better then the standard speakers that the computer comes with. This will bring the system price up to $979.

ROIDO

Edited by =OSS*ROID=, 16 December 2008 - 05:17 PM.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Srry, lol, looks like I posted it right after you did. I didn't notice. The system you configured looks really good and it actually looks identical to the one that I configured. So which ever one you want is fine. They both are basically the same just with different names. How much does the system you configured cost?

ROIDO

Edited by =OSS*ROID=, 16 December 2008 - 05:23 PM.

clenz

clenz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The system I had was $1033. The price isn't a huge difference, but it may be a deciding factor for me. Thank you much for your help.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
No problem. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

ROIDO