Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with "MY Music" and Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

Seagoon

Seagoon

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When I am working with newly ripped files in "My Music", after every action such as renaming a file or moving it to a subfolder ,the folder reverts to the top of the page and I have to scroll down to the new files at the bottom of the page.As I have a lot of music files this get to be very tedious. Anyone know how to stop it doing this? O/S is XP.
I also have a self induced issue with Media Player that I don't think is linked to the previous problem but who knows?
When iTunes had made itself the default media Player for the umpteenth time I got extremely annoyed,uninstalled it and went through all the files and removed anything that had iTunes in the file name.Unfortunately one of the files appears to have been the Windows Media Player library....That's why I have been editing in "My Music" rather than WMP.
I don't have the original XP disc because the O/S was pre-installed on the computer.Is there any way that I can re-install the library file?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Vaughan

Advertisements

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
You can download WMP directly from Microsoft's website.

http://www.microsoft...11/default.aspx

If you want to run an earlier version, check this out:

http://www.oldversio...ogram.php?n=wmp

Personally, I still run WMP 9 as I had several issues with both 10 & 11 wanting to take over the entire pc.

Seagoon

Seagoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Jonesy. I tried that but I still can't populate the Library.I have had the message that the Media Player is searching for digital files for about an hour now and it still hasn't found any!I have obviously deleted something that's rather more fundamental.
I must teach myself not to fall out with inanimate machines :)

Vaughan

Seagoon

Seagoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Have had a look at the "Help" files on the site you pointed me to and may be on track to the problem.I followed the solution to the problem "You cannot view,add or delete items in the library" which tells you to run the File "%userprofiles%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player".I then got the error message"Cannot find %userprofiles%\Local".
Does anyone know how to get that file?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Have had a look at the "Help" files on the site you pointed me to and may be on track to the problem.I followed the solution to the problem "You cannot view,add or delete items in the library" which tells you to run the File "%userprofiles%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player".I then got the error message"Cannot find %userprofiles%\Local".

I think the %userprofiles% needs to be substituted for your actual logon name.

So if it was me, I'd type in jonesey\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player - but this is something I've never tried!!!!!

What version of WMP are you currently running?

I'd be tempted to roll back to the basic version then reinstall 9, 10 or 11, depending on your preferences.

Rolling back will NOT affect your files, playlists or existing libraries.

Hope this helps

Seagoon

Seagoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've got WMP 11 since I downloaded it last night!Previously I was on 10.How do I roll back to the basic version?
Am going to try the logon name soon if I can get my accounts finished.
Thanks for the help

Vaughan

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I don't think you can uninstall it from Control Panel - and there's no uninstall option on the main menu, could be tricky - you might have to delete it from C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player

And then install it again.

The only problem I can see with this is your original registry entries are still intact.

Wait until someone more in touch with this can help.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Hello Seagoon,

You will have to put the line between quotes, exactly like in the below codebox:
"%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player"
If you don't, then windows will stop at the first 'space' it finds.

Now onto the rest, Try removing Windows Media Player from Add/Remove Programs then re-installing it once WMP is removed.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 30 December 2008 - 08:06 AM.