Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP w/SP2 all-in-one?

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I'm planning a new build soon. I have run across references such as this:

I consulted with IT in my company and they informed me that with the newer motherboards, you need to install xp with a disc of SP2 or later. I thought I would pass the word along because this took hours for me to figure out.

I have an XP disc and I have SP2 (& 3, actually) on my drive. Do I have to pay again to get a disc combing both of them, or can I make one myself, or what can I do?

Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It depends on your version of XP.

If you have a retail version, then you will be allowed to install it on the new computer. The Retail EULA states you are allowed to install it on one computer at a time, so make sure you remove it from the last computer first.

If you currently have an OEM version, you will need a new version for the new system.

In regards to your "combining", yes you can, it's called slipstreaming. There are plenty of guides out there to slipstream SP3 into a Windows XP disc.

Troy

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
That was very helpful, thanks! I do have a retail version and I know I can only use it on one PC at a time.