Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GWY Laptop will not recognize OS in a swapped HDD

• Please log in to reply

brinas30

brinas30

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I received an old Dell laptop with XP Professional with some awesome software on it, but it has a corporate network password I can't get past. I'd like to remove the passwords so I can use the operating system itself. I'm unable to use any password tools because it doesn't have a DVD/ CD ROM drive or Floppy. So...I took the hard drive out and stuck it in a Gateway laptop I have so I can bypass the password..also, I swapped the hdd adapters correctly...but I get:
"No Operating System Found"...which I know isn't correct. Now the Dell recognized the IDE hard drive with no problems..in fact I'm on it now.

I've taken the drive out and remounted it a few times to ensure it was installed correctly. BIOS recognizes the drive, but cannot access the OS.
I only have these two laptops...suppose I could find a friend who trusts me to use their unit to mount my HDD and try it there, but I'd rather try you guys first :)

Any suggestions? :)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
From the GTG Terms of USE...

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any passwords.

I doubt anyone here will help you.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
removed multi post...

Edited by makai, 15 December 2008 - 02:22 AM.