Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Losing Ram Quickly

• Please log in to reply

Linhans

Linhans

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have been working on my computer, using XP Home OS, and can hear something running on it as I am just surfing. In a matter of seconds, my ram goes from 790 to 1. It just disappears. I am running FreeRam and it kicks in and gets it back up again but this is the first time it has ever done this. Could something be wrong with my memory? I also have a bandwidth meter showing activity on the broadband and it seems to be having unusual activity as though something is trying to install itself on the machine. I have antivirus and am running the Sunbelt firewall. Could someone help with this? It is so weird how quickly the ram dies off. Thanks.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I have been working on my computer, using XP Home OS, and can hear something running on it as I am just surfing. In a matter of seconds, my ram goes from 790 to 1. It just disappears. I am running FreeRam and it kicks in and gets it back up again but this is the first time it has ever done this. Could something be wrong with my memory? I also have a bandwidth meter showing activity on the broadband and it seems to be having unusual activity as though something is trying to install itself on the machine. I have antivirus and am running the Sunbelt firewall. Could someone help with this? It is so weird how quickly the ram dies off. Thanks.

That is a LOT of ram to just become used up so quickly. I advise you go to our Malware forums. Read the stickies at the top (IN DETAIL) and see if they can help you. Sometimes things can get past the AV and you may want to check and make sure.

Also, that program FreeRAM actually does more to hurt your computers performance than help it. The reason I say this is all it does is it unloads stuff out of the RAM to the pagefile on the HD. Windows already does this naturally, so when you use the program, you are forcing all of this stuff that is in ram to the pagefile. WHich then if windows needs it, it has to pull out of the pagefile. WHICH IS SLOW AS MOLASSES compared to a transfer from the RAM. So that being said, I advise you uninstall the program because it is actually HURTING your comptuer and slowing it down instead of helping it.