Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing drivers = No signal after XP boot

• Please log in to reply

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

I guess u don't understand what I mean? every mobo must have inbuild VGA. I suggest u to use that VGA not AGP cards.

I second what Mark D says, A LOT of motherboards even today do not have integrated graphics. Especially high end motherboards with lots of features where space is limited due to the sheer amount of hardware for the features.

sorry I never face those mobo till now.....some mobo didn't have inbuild but have its vga with it. When u purchase mobo vendor also gave u a vga cards or what ever u called. :) :)
I might be wrong. :wave: :help:

Advertisements

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Unfortunately I don't have an extra card. I was thinking of upgrading soon anyway so I guess now is a good a time as ever

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Yeah I could get in before w/ drivers on and in VGA Mode but for some reason now I can't. The one big differences I've noticed is that 1.) when drivers are installed the monitor still doesn't have refresh rate options, it just says use hardware settings. And 2.) when xp finds the video card it can never find drivers on it's own. Might I try finding the latest bios update for my card and flash it ?

Edited by muffins, 16 December 2008 - 10:57 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Have you tried a System Restore in Safe mode as Mark D suggested?

Vid cards don't all of a sudden just stop working from one day to the next. They normally show signs of locking up, first. If everything was fine the other day, I wouldn't think it's a hardware problem. Do a System Restore back to at least a week and see if that helps.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I turned System Restore off a while ago because of a virus and never turned it back on. Also, I've already formatted so its beyond a system restore.

The last thing that happened to the comp was I installed TVersity which included a codec pack, left the comp on overnight, then turned it off via the power button the next morning.

Updates:

OK I made it back into VGA mode w/ drivers installed. Here is what I see (note there is no nvidia ctrl panel for some reason)

http://i42.tinypic.com/13zvkaa.jpg

Overall it seems like the drivers never get installed properly. If I can make it into VGA mode w/ drivers installed, the nvidia ctrl panel should work shouldn't it? Unless something went wrong during install...

Edited by muffins, 16 December 2008 - 11:48 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Let's backtrack a bit here...

You say you reinstalled the OS, correct?

Did you install the chipset driver for your motherboard before you installed the vid driver?

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I did re-install the OS. I have not installed a chipset. I never have in the past...

It would seem weird though that one night it would decide to stop working, but I'm willing to try anything. Where can I get the chipset for my mobo? I have an intel board. I'm sure its on their website so I'll look.

Theres a difference between BIOS updates and chipsets correct?

Edited by muffins, 16 December 2008 - 11:55 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There is contention by some that chipset drivers are not required. However, my personal feelings is that they ARE required. The driver helps windows to communicate with the North/South bridge.

HERE is the download page for your motherboard. Item #4 is the chipset driver.

Normally, the chipset driver is the very first driver to install right after you install windows.

EDITED... Sorry, forgot to address this...

Theres a difference between BIOS updates and chipsets correct?

Yes, there is a difference... suffice to say for now... DO NOT update the bios.

Edited by makai, 16 December 2008 - 12:14 PM.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I just installed the latest chipset and updated the BIOS on both the video card and motherboard.

I currently do not have drivers installed. What should I do now?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I currently do not have drivers installed. What should I do now?

I don't exactly know what you mean by this. What drivers don't you have installed?

Edited by makai, 16 December 2008 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Yeah unfortunately still nothing.

I keep wanting to say its a hardware problem but theres ONE thing that keeps bringing me back.

If I have drivers installed and am able to boot into Windows, shouldn't I be able to access the nVidia control panel if everything installed OK? Because I can't. Its not even an option in Control Panel like it usually is. There is an nVidia desktop manager and when I double click that nothing happens. Something seems wrong with the drivers.

Edited by muffins, 16 December 2008 - 12:22 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I agree! The fact that there is no Nvidia control panel in Display Properties makes me also think this is a driver problem.

This is what I would do at this point since nothing else seems to be working... although it might seem a lot of work for you...

Reformat and reinstall Windows
After Windows is installed, install the Chipset Driver... RESTART the machine
Intall the Video Driver... BUT... if you have the original driver that came with the card, use that instead of an updated driver from Nvidia

EDITED...

By the way... if you have the original install CD, you might let it run automaically... I seem to remember that sometimes some cards require a forceware driver. Gee, it's been so long since I had to install Nvidia drivers... my old 7600 is still plugging away!

Edited by makai, 16 December 2008 - 12:50 PM.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I tried doing a quick format earlier and then installing the chipset from SP1 and the install would always crash. I updated to SP2 and installed it and then my mouse stopped working o_O

I reformatted (Full format) and am updating SP3 right now. Should I try to install the chipset after SP3 is fully updated?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you are installing SP3, it may already have the chipset driver. Is SP3 something you've been installing all along and is why you never installed the chipset driver?

Rather than install the chipset driver after you're done with windows, go to Start> run... type in devmgmt.msc ... Device manager will launch. If you see any yellow or red marks can you post what they are?

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I installed the chipset w/ SP3 and this is what I see (its the same as before the chipset) and yes I always have installed SP3.

http://i42.tinypic.com/fmnvuo.jpg

It doesn't seem to automatically see my video card anymore. It doesn't recognize the soundcard either but the drivers work for the soundcard, so that doesn't matter.