Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing drivers = No signal after XP boot

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

It doesn't seem to automatically see my video card anymore.

That may be a good thing! Now all we have to hope for is that when you install the vid driver, it will install correctly. The problem is... which version should you install? The version on the CD (if you have it) may be older than SP3, so it may be incompatible. Also, if for some reason SP3 doesn't like the new drivers on Nvidia, you may end up where you were before this last format/install.

I don't use SP3 on any of my computers due to incompatibilities with some of my software. In fact, it darn well smacked both my laptops.

I guess you have no choice but to just install the Nvidia software. You have to make the decision which to try.

Advertisements

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Still a no-go :)

Heres a picture of what it looks like when the drivers are installed:

http://i39.tinypic.com/zt99uo.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/11ub6ug.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2mfay35.jpg

Everything looks normal but the card can't seem to do it. Maybe the card is dead after all?
Really hard to say. Maybe the card drivers have to be active for the Nvidia ctrl panel to work? Since VGA mode is on and its not using those drivers....? Don't really know anymore :)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Still a no-go :)

Heres a picture of what it looks like when the drivers are installed:

http://i39.tinypic.com/zt99uo.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/11ub6ug.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2mfay35.jpg

Everything looks normal but the card can't seem to do it. Maybe the card is dead after all?
Really hard to say. Maybe the card drivers have to be active for the Nvidia ctrl panel to work? Since VGA mode is on and its not using those drivers....? Don't really know anymore :)

I have been following this thread for a while now just as a learning experience and I must say I feel for you muffins. I will say from what I know of the hardware forum you are in the hands of one of the most gifted hardware repair people I have ever seen. I thought I was good (I still can say I have a weird magic touch with computers that I can't explain and won't get into here) but this man/woman (I don't know makai's gender :)) makes me look like a complete idiot.

Good luck and keep the faith up, if it can be fixed he/she will find a solution for you.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
haha thanks. I can hang in there as long as I can at least get into Windows somehow :) I wish there was an error log for everything.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Uhhh.... I'm not going to quote what PedroDaGR8 just said, but it's not true! However thanks anyway PedroDaGR8!

Still a no-go sad.gif

Sheesh! I feel the same way you do. Heck, it's video card for heaven's sake! I hate to point this out, but you mentioned you updated the vid card bios... do you know for sure if it took?

I still have a hard time believing the card could just all of a sudden die. I mean, it can happen, but how likely is that when it was just working before you installed some 3rd party software. If you want to keep going, I have a few more suggestions.

This is the Nvidia Forceware driver for your card. Unfortunately, Nvidia does not have much documentation on Forceware, and this driver is dated 2007. However, it may help as I seem to remember I had to use a Forceware driver on a client computer I did some time ago. I don't know if it will fix the problem you're having though.

The only other solution I can think of is that you start all over again from scratch... (yah, I know!)... however, this time do not install SP3. Go with what's on your XP install disk, install SP2 if it's a seperate file from the CD... Restart. Then install the Chipset driver you downloaed. Restart. Then the original Vid driver from the CD that came with the card.

I know it's a lot of work, but the vid card you have is not cheap. One other thing... does the card happen to still be under warranty?

EDITED TO CORRECT LINK... Originally posted wrong Vista Link... corrected for XP.

Edited by makai, 16 December 2008 - 07:04 PM.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I don't believe its under warranty anymore.

That driver you linked is for Vista. Does that matter or is it a universal driver?

When I reinstalled Windows the second time it wasn't recognizing the video card by itself anymore. Before the formats, when I uninstalled drivers the computer would automatically recognize the card and then ask me if I wanted to install the drivers. I did try putting the chipset drivers on SP2 and still was a no-go. If it worked on SP3 for months I think that this is either a really deep issue with nvidia's drivers or hardware.

I do appreciate the help though.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

That driver you linked is for Vista. Does that matter or is it a universal driver?

whoops!!! I had so many forceware windows open, I got mixed up. Let me look around a bit more.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
HERE the correct one! Sorry about that!

You see what happens when people compliment me!!!! I screw up!!! :)

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I just ran Everest (free edition) and under multimonitor it says this:

Device ID Primary Upper Left Corner Bottom Right Corner
\\.\DISPLAY2 Yes (0,0) (640,480)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2utnllv.jpg

I don't know what this means but it looks wrong... Why does it detect something under MULTI monitors? And why is DISPLAY2 set to my primary? I don't know what it means completely but it screams wrong.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I don't believe its under warranty anymore.

When I reinstalled Windows the second time it wasn't recognizing the video card by itself anymore. Before the formats, when I uninstalled drivers the computer would automatically recognize the card and then ask me if I wanted to install the drivers. I did try putting the chipset drivers on SP2 and still was a no-go. If it worked on SP3 for months I think that this is either a really deep issue with nvidia's drivers or hardware.

I do appreciate the help though.

The reason the card was recognized before the formats is because windows still had the inf file for the vid card. When windows saw the card at start up, it already knew what card it was.

Did you happen to try pulling the card out to reseating it?

Yah, you might be right about it being a deeper problem with the card. All you can do is try things and if that doesn't work, then basically, you give up. In all the years I've been working with hardware, I have never seen a vid card fail, that's why I find it so strange that it failed cooincidently with you installing software.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I just ran Everest (free edition) and under multimonitor it says this:

Device ID Primary Upper Left Corner Bottom Right Corner
\\.\DISPLAY2 Yes (0,0) (640,480)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2utnllv.jpg

I don't know what this means but it looks wrong... Why does it detect something under MULTI monitors? And why is DISPLAY2 set to my primary? I don't know what it means completely but it screams wrong.

We're getting lost... too many posts happening at once.

Everest is probably reporting information on the generic Windows VGA driver. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the report.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well we tried and tried but no avail :)

I appreciate all the time you've spent trying to help though :)

Guess I'll just have to wait a while and see what happens.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, sorry it didn't work out. Even though the card isn't under warranty, try giving the manufacture a call... you never know what they might offer.

Please let me know if you ever work things out. I'll certainly learn from it! Thanks!

makai

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Muffins, forgive me if I overlooked it. I didn't see if you listed exactly which driver you installed for the actual 8800. Can you provide a link?

Looks to be the improper video driver. Notice in your screenshots that it doesn't have the functionality at all to display normal resolutions. Even if the card were to be going bad, it would still give you the option to change the resolution. It would just fail trying to produce resulting in artifacts or bluescreen.

you might try installing them like this:

Posted Image

Make sure the "Show Compatible Hardware" checkbox stays checked, and select the Nvidia 8800GT from the list. Or, if you hit "Have Disk" browse to:

Posted Image

I seriously doubt the card is actually bad. As they previously mentioned, either you don't have the proper chipset drivers installed or you don't have the proper video card drivers installed.

*Edit* In case you didn't have them already. The proper drivers for the 8800GT:
http://www.nvidia.co...80.48_whql.html

Edited by lurky, 16 December 2008 - 09:02 PM.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I tried installing it via Have Disk and same problem :)

So many things point to this not being a hardware problem, but when formatting doesn't fix things it really starts to boggle your mind.

Edited by muffins, 16 December 2008 - 09:35 PM.