Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network

• Please log in to reply

snellinc

snellinc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell 8600 laptop using a Netgear 54Mbps wireless PC card WG511V2. I connecting to a 54 Mbps Dell wireless router WGR614v5. I connect to the wireless devices. When I check my netowrk devices it shows I'm connected at 54Mbps and have excellent signal strenght, but can not access the web, e-mail, etc. My desktop has no problems accessing the web and the same goes for my wives Dell 1200 laptop using Dell wireless 1350 WLAN PC card. I have removed the Netgear software from the 8600 and reinstalled and still have the same problem. I have reset the netork on the desktop using both the USB Flash drive and also tried to set the 8600 using the mannual method. I still get the same result. I have ran Adware, MVP, and TuneupUtlities 2004 and it still shows connected but no access. I have removed IE and MSN and rei8nstalled but still the same problem. I had a nice head of hair, but have pulled it all out. If someone can think of something else I can do, I would be very grateful.

Advertisements

Zhewiz

Zhewiz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
First off, have you made sure that your settings on your wireless adapter in your laptop match that of your router. Settings that must match are the SSID (your network name), the wireless channel and wireless security (WEP and/or WPA).

snellinc

snellinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes , before doing a manual set up I printed the settings to ensure they match. The SSID and WEP are the same. I'm going to deinstalled the wireless card and install another one to see if the card might be the problem. Will provide an update once I try this.

snellinc

snellinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed a new Dell Wireless 1350 PC card (works fine in another laptop) and still have the same problem. I think that it might be an XP problem but nt sure and don't know where to go from here.

Zhewiz

Zhewiz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Before anything else, please do this. Turn off the modem (unplug it), turn off the router (unplug it) and turn off the disfunctional laptop. Wait a few seconds and plug the modem back in. Wait 2 minutes. Now plug in the router and wait 1 minute. Now turn on your laptop. Check to see if that did anything. If not, I have a few more questions. Is the laptop set to infrastructure mode? If the access list is turned on in your router, is the MAC address for the laptop listed?

snellinc

snellinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks....I did what you recommended and still have the same problem.