Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2/3 screen freezing

• Please log in to reply

ChloeGirldie

ChloeGirldie

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have an HP Pavilion laptop that is only about a year and a half old. I used to have problems with the screen where if I shut the lid and opened it it would blink alot like the connection wasn't solid. I fixed that by never closing the lid. Now I noticed since I had been transporting my computer more (from my apartment to a library) that the screen will freeze. It doesn't seem to freeze when I get to the library, only when I get home (probably irrelevant). And I think it has happened more since it's been cold outside. At any rate I will get home and start up my computer and about 2/3 of the screen will be black or frozen with the bottom part of my desktop. I can still use all keyboard/mouse/program functions but only in the little 1/3 of the screen that isn't frozen. At some point while I'm using the computer it does go away. I can see the color on the bottom 2/3 slowly return and it gets this faded look, blinks alot and finally disappears. What the heck is wrong? How can I fix this? I would rather not have to buy a new laptop after only a year and a half.

Thanks!
-Dana

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I am going to take a WAG here and say that it is a loose video cable, because if it isn't that, you need to call the manufacturer and see what they say. How comfortable are you with opening your laptop (or a desktop computer). If you are somewhat comfortable you can check the cable connection yourself. If you aren't then you may need to just call the manufacturer.

ChloeGirldie

ChloeGirldie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks, I'll check it out!