Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB to Parallel Converter Cable

• Please log in to reply

acmatters

acmatters

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I purchased a USB to Parallel Converter Cable in the hopes of getting this printer to work with my new Vista system. I was successful in installing the printer driver and have that marked as the default printer, but it won't print. Any suggestions?

Edited by acmatters, 15 December 2008 - 02:27 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With respect this printer is ancient, it's so old it's not even listed as supported under Windows 95 so I'm surprised it works under Vista. The USB/Parallel adaptors I personally wouldn't give the time of day to, they tend to complicate situations. This printer is listed as no major issues under Vista so you'll most likely find its your adaptor that's interfering.

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
LOL. Thanks, Neil. I know it's a dinosaur. But I'm trying to keep it alive as it's the most economical way to print a couple of different quarterly newsletters I do from home. I've used it before with both Windows 95 as well as 2000, but with this most recent PC and no parallel ports, I think it might be time to retire it as much as I really don't want to. The toner cartridges last forever in this thing.

Do you know of an adaptor that would have any chance of working? I had been warned by the techs at the store where the adaptor was purchased that these things have a 50/50 chance of working. Must I give up? Or do you have any other suggestions? There's nothing I can do within the computer to make it accept this adaptor?

Thanks!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

LOL. Thanks, Neil. I know it's a dinosaur. But I'm trying to keep it alive as it's the most economical way to print a couple of different quarterly newsletters I do from home. I've used it before with both Windows 95 as well as 2000, but with this most recent PC and no parallel ports, I think it might be time to retire it as much as I really don't want to. The toner cartridges last forever in this thing.

Do you know of an adaptor that would have any chance of working? I had been warned by the techs at the store where the adaptor was purchased that these things have a 50/50 chance of working. Must I give up? Or do you have any other suggestions? There's nothing I can do within the computer to make it accept this adaptor?

Thanks!

I know SEVERAL people with this printer and they all LOVE it because it is so cheap to print stuff on and it is a tank. One guy has several broken ones in storage so that when a part on his good one breaks he has spare parts. :)

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Oh good; I'm not the only one! So do you know if and how they run it off of Vista?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Oh good; I'm not the only one! So do you know if and how they run it off of Vista?

Unfortunately none of them run it off of vista, most of the computers are ALMOST as old as the printer itself. Something you may want to look into if your computer is a desktop is a parallel port add in card. That should give you the functionality you need while avoiding the PP to USB adapter.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a network in place? i.e. a router or anything like that? you can get a parallel port print server that can connect the printer to your network....then you can print from any computer on the network to that printer

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
We do have a router for the wireless Internet. Is that what you mean? We've never networked the printers. So a parallel port print server? Are those expensive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.tigerdire...a...nt-Servers you can get print servers for as little as $40 (i've seen them cheaper)...basically allows you to connect to the printer by IP address

http://www.tigerdire...a...t=0&Recs=10 you can get parallel cables cards for as little as $30

again..can't assure you that either of these will fix the issue with connecting the printer in vista...HOWEVER i can be relatively sure that the USB to parallel adapter isn't exactly helping

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. We'll look into that, and I'll pop back in here if I have any more questions.