Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web development programs

• Please log in to reply

noahsart

noahsart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I know a little about web development but it seems to be changing rapidly. (I know enough to know how much I don't know!) I've used FrontPage in the past but now realize that much is to be gained through the proper use of DOCTYPE, HTML 4.01 Strict and Style Sheets. Does a program exist that will provide the inclusion of those aspects in a newly created multipage website? Or....do I need to take a course or read a book in HTML?

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jack

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The tutorials found at the w3c.org's site will help you towards understanding a lot of what you want to know. After all, they set the standards we are suppose to adhere to. By the time you learn to code to HTML 4.01, HTML 5.0 may be out. :) It will still be some time before we see CSS 3.0 out and being used by browsers.

You can get a lot of outdated information so watch which ones you study as a lot of coding shown on some of these sites are not to HTML 4.01 Strict and up. See the DocTypes for references of how the DocType should be inserted. The wrong DocType can cause lots of problems.

Aside from coding to a Strict or higher DocType, remember to code Semantically and Syntactically for ALL DocTypes. Keeps you from forming bad habits.

Definitely stay away from tables for layouts. Use them strictly for what they have always been intended...tabular data.

Might buy a few good books from Amazon.com. I usually buy the cheaper used ones which seem almost new when I get them.

Good luck.

noahsart

noahsart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info. I, unfortunately, am not proficient with the terminology but I'll definitely check out your references and try to learn along the way. I just sent a request/note to PayneLessDesigns.com Perhaps you can help me there, too?
Cheers,
Jack

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you need additional help, it would be better to keep to this thread since it may benefit others who may be following this thread. I provide a lot of free help via my own site, but only because I love coding...up to a point. :)