Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Solved] Windows XP Reinstall, BSoD 0x00000007f

• Please log in to reply

just_james

just_james

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not really sure where to begin. How about, I did something stupid, yadda, yadda, yadda, reinstalled wndows xp, yadda, yadda, yadda, now I get the BSoD when I try and boot XP normally.

A few details. The computer I have was bought online years ago as a custom. It has work great until a couple of weeks ago. I tried renaming a system folder and adding users then the next day I got a NTLDR missing. I tried to "fix it" myself, ended up reinstalling windows from a set up disk I created since the computer did not come with one. It will not boot normally, only getting the BSoD, but it will boot in safe mode.

There are two partitions on the HD. One is 18.6GB the other 38.6GB. Windows is on the smaller partition. I though perhaps the computer is getting confused between the two because after the install the boot.ini was on the larger partition instead of where windows was installed. I did a repair install, but that did not help.

Anyway, what other information is needed to help diagnose this? Any good software that could help?

PS. I have noticed on other boards that this error happens a lot with video cards. Being customized, this one had a video card added. Would it be helpful to either go into safe mode and try and load the updated driver or unplug the video card and use what is factory installed?

Update: 12.16.08 - So I go home and one of the kids has turn on the computer. It is at the screen for you to choose regular boot or Safe Mode. I select Safe (I thought) and went to eat dinner. I come back and the computer has booted up normally, all is well. I make a few checks, shutdown and restart and all is well. I spent the rest of the evening updating and trying to recover info.

I have no idea what solved the problem other than it just worked itself out.

Edited by just_james, 16 December 2008 - 11:25 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
What is the make and model of the computer? That will help us the most in this situation.

just_james

just_james

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It says Compaq EVO on the case. To get any more detailed, I'll need to get it when I get home. I can only access the web from work. Is there a utility I can run to give me detailed info on the computer that might help?

Edited by just_james, 15 December 2008 - 03:11 PM.