Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing External HD

• Please log in to reply

jc1cell

jc1cell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

Here's where I'm at right now. I have an external Maxtor Drive on an XP pro system and have it shared so it can be accessed from an XP Home system and a Vista system. I was able to set the sharing up in the standard way (contextual properties, sharing tab) and am able to see the shares in the network places on each system (including the original system where the external is installed).

That's about as far as I can get accessing this drive. I can't get in and work the files from any of the systems including the original system (going through the network places). I tried working with the permissions and the such, however, I either can't figure it out or there's nothing to work on in there.

I have other folders in each of the systems local drives that are shared and easily accessed for each computer. Network access for those folders are not an issue.

Here's the error I get:

\\LEE\Production is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Not Enough server storage is available to process this command.

I would like to hear suggestions on how to make it accessible rather than only viewable.

Thank You

Attached Thumbnails

• Error_Window.JPG

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

jc1cell

jc1cell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and took a look at the tutorial you mentioned and most of it was already done. The ones that were not I did. However, the same situation is still occurring. I even added permissions to guests and network and still nothing. I can see the links to the shares on each computer but cannot access due to the same error mentioned in the Original Post.

Any further suggestions?