Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista running programs Slow

• Please log in to reply

bushygoose

bushygoose

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I reviewed all the postings to see if anyone is having the same problems as me. I have ran disk defrag, ATF Cleaner, and ADvanced Windows Care. But I am still having problems with Windows Vista running slow. My programs took forever to open up, then when they finally open, it takes forever to get to what I want to use. I have to wait 10+ minutes to get some thing opened which should not be happening.

The anit-virus I am using is Avast, so I don't think that is slowing it down.

I was looking for a program that could tell me what is making my system run slow but do not know what to look for. If someone can help, that would be great.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Have you updated your drivers? How many unnecessary programs are running automatically in the background? Many can be started manually when needed.

bushygoose

bushygoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It is a new computer. Probably only 2 months old. I cannot tell what is running in my background. when I look at my processes, I am not sure what I can disable and what shouldn't be touched.

My Processer is an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, E4600, 2.4GHZ , Memory is 2GB

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You may have purchased it two months ago, but that doesn't mean it was built at that time. Drivers do, occasionally need to be updated. See if there is an update for your Bios and graphics card.

BlackViper has some tips for 'Services' that may needlessly be running:
http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

Process Explorer will show you everything that's running:
http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If this is 2-months old computer, I'd avoid playing around with it, especially by updating BIOS, because you may void the warranty.
Unless the machine is severely infected, there is something seriously wrong with it.
Take advantage of the warranty.

SandV4

SandV4

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I work on computers as a side business and one thing I do the most is upgrade ram because of an os running slow. I know what the specs microsoft put out on recommended ram but i personnely do not recommend running vista without an absolute minimum of 2gb of ram. If you are running a 32-bit os I would say max out your ram at 3gb. If you are running a 64-bit os, definately go with 4gb. While you may feel there is no need to max it out, this is by far the easiest and most cost effective way to speed up a computer. You can find great deals on ram at www.newegg.com

Hope this helps.