Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive For Small Business

• Please log in to reply

geosibley

geosibley

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

External hard drives seem to fail sooner or later, so I thought one designed for a small business would be more reliable. No matter where I search there seems to be the same ones that are designed for consumers. It is possible I'm using the wrong search words.

Does anyone know of external hard drives that are designed for a small business?

Thanks,

GS

Edited by geosibley, 15 December 2008 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Hi,

External hard drives seem to fail sooner or later, so I thought one designed for a small business would be more reliable. No matter where I search there seems to be the same ones that are designed for consumers. It is possible I'm using the wrong search words.

Does anyone know of external hard drives that are designed for a small business?

Thanks,

GS

Unfortunately, no. While there are enterprise quality drives (SAS drives etc.) I don't think there are any interface chips (such as SAS to USB). Basically the next step up from an external USB HD is a NAS device. It basically acts like a server on the network that allows the comptuers to connect to the drives on the NAS. There are simple NAS devices made by several of the networking companies or you can turn an old computer into a NAS using the free software FreeNAS (yeah I know free was redundant there). SOme of these allow you to incorporate RAID features to mitigate the effects of a single drive failure (though remember RAID is not a backup, it just mitigates data loss when ONE HD fails).

Other than that, I have killed a wide range of laptop HDs (don't ask), but my WD MyBook Essentials 400Gb is running strong. So far it has fallen off the couch 4 times, once while running, fallen off my desk on to the concrete floor once (cracked the case but STILL fine) etc. I have run EVERY hard drive test I know to see if it sustained any damage and so far nothing sees anything more than a SINGLE bad sector. ONE. I have had desktops that came from the FACTORY with more than that many bad sectors.

geosibley

geosibley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Well, I guess that explains why I couldn't fine any. I've never had one from Western Digital, so I' try it next.

Thanks for the reply.

muthu22

muthu22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I analyze this critical and challenging business. how can i express my thoughts. but i can help you. Mac users may prefer Firewire 800 since it's a bit faster,
Actually Firewire 800 will be a lot faster on a Mac. That is in part due to Apple's so-so implementation of USB 2.0.

Cheers.............
:) :) :)
------------------------------
Muthu

Make Money

Edited by muthu22, 27 January 2009 - 04:54 AM.