Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

blocked inet access after removing antivirus 2009

• Please log in to reply

finish_rich07

finish_rich07

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I recently used your forums to help me remove Anitvirus 2009 and the fake warning system tray icon. I really appreciate the help. That virus was no fun. I did all of the steps that you asked before posting this. The problem I am having now is that my internet is completly blocked after a few minutes of use. Every program trying to access the internet is unsuccessful. While browsing in IE6, everything will work great for a few minutes and then the access is blocked. A system restart will temporarily fix the problem but it always happens again. I am on another computer here at home now and the internet works great. I have been using a jump drive to download the programs you recommend and then installing them on the infected computer, etc. Im not sure if I should post my hijack this file now, or wait until asked. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

finish_rich07

finish_rich07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well its been 4 days and no replies..... I have learned that I can get internet access in safe mode so that is what im doing now. Like I said, in regular mode the internet works for a few minutes, then nothing. I have read a few other peoples posts about similiar problems but all of the suggested fixes did not work for me. Please help.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
I would not advise you to access the internet in Safe Mode as most antivirus programs do not automatically run in Safe Mode and therefore you are open to other infections. If you can access the internet from another computer I would advise you to do so.

While we try to help everyone as quickly as possible, our malware team is vastly outnumbered by people needing help. Some of our experts work from the older topics towards the newer ones and some take on newer topics rather than older ones. We encourage the former practice, but that's not always practical.

Some of the helpers are more comfortable with certain infections and seek them out...still other helpers will look for the tougher infections to take on. This may explain, at least partially, the seemingly random nature of how topics are selected. We DO try to get to everyone in a timely manner, but as you've seen, the Malware Forum presents a pretty formidable workload for the number of staff members we have.

Please read this thread which will give instructions for help when your topic is at least three days old and you haven't received help.

Edited by Octagonal, 19 December 2008 - 09:01 PM.

finish_rich07

finish_rich07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was able to get my computer working right again. I ran several antivirus programs that did not detect anything. Then I tried avg antivirus and it found 4 infections. I cleaned them and violla, the internet problems are cured. Thank you for these forums and all the help you guys provide. I have learned alot from you. Merry Christmas