Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

O.E. receives but cannot send email

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
My new netbook with O.E.6 has thst problem. I have set up my account properly which is the same as on my PC.

Although I receive emails OK I cannot send. Oddly the 2 emails I tried to send although ending up in the Outbox have an indication of only one in the Folder list.

Could there be a glitch in my account set up which would allow the receiving but not sending or if it can receive then there should not be a reason for not sending? There is the error message 0X800CCC0F which does not seem to apply in this case.

Could the O.E. be corrupted in some way and a new one should be downloaded?

Any advice please.

Xp Sp3 O.E.6

Edited by Plutox, 15 December 2008 - 12:44 PM.

Advertisements

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
To be sure there isn't a mistake in the account settings, do an Export/Import.
On the PC, open OE.
Click Tools>Accounts>Mail tab>highlight the account>Export button.
Save as an IAF file.

Transfer the IAF file to the Desktop of the Notebook.
Right click it>Properties and make sure it's NOT Read only.

On the Notebook, open OE.
Click Tools>Accounts>Mail tab.
Highlight and Remove all accounts.
Click Import>Browse to the IAF file on the Desktop for the Import source.
The Account will be duplicated exactly as it is on the PC.
When the Import is complete, try sending yourself a mail.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks Throoper for your tip.

I tried it but got the message, 'The import did not complete because an error occurred'. Not very informative!

I did it a couple of times more with the same result.

I have carefully checked my account settings on my laptop and PC, which work OK, and entered them into my Netbook as exact copies but still no success in sending from there. Receiving still OK. So with that result plus the error message , does that give any other clue to the problem?
Thanks for any more advice.

PS I didn't quite know how to get those account settings from one computer to another (am a novice in these matters) but as I have a USB memory stick I copied those settings to it and attempted to recover the iaf file to the Net book. All seemed well but then that error message came. Was my method wrong? I have no cables to transfer.

Edited by Plutox, 17 December 2008 - 05:46 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi Plutox,

Putting the IAF on a USB to transfer it is fine.
If it didn't get marked Read Only during the transfer and you removed the existing accounts before Importing, it should have worked.

You could try it on the PC or laptop just to ensure that the IAF file is OK. If it works there, then you will know that there is definitely a problem with OE on the Notebook.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for your response Throoper.

Yes I forgot to say that the Read Only was unticked OK. And I removed the existing account before the transfer.
As for trying out the procedure on my PC and/or laptop I don't want to precipitate problems there!

Unfortunately the Medion helpline, although sometimes very good, has not helped - they tend not to read one's emails properly so their replies are useless.

I don't want to remove and download a fresh OE if that cannot be a solution to this problem - I'll still try to find out more before I do that.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Trying it out on your PC or laptop shouldn't cause any problems as it's most likely a problem with the OE install on the notebook and not the IAF file. However, another way to check that would be to Export an IAF from the other machine to try. If you did it on the PC, try it from the laptop. Just name it something different from the first so they can coexist on the Desktop of the notebook or just delete the IAF that is already there. You don't want to replace the file (that's overwriting). You want a new IAF.
If the Import has the same result with the new IAF from a different machine, then the problem is on the notebook.

If you let me know what ISP you have, I can check the specifics for settings.
Assuming the settings are correct for your ISP (one thing to look at would be Tools>Accounts>Mail tab>PropertiesServer tab, in the Outgoing server section place a check by "My server requies authentication" and OK. The Log-on using secure Password Authentication is usually unchecked, but that depends on the ISP. Try both ways.), the next thing to look at would be your AV and Firewall. I would think them unlikely as you can receive mail, but they should be checked. Disable the Outgoing E-mail scanner on the AV and make sure OE is permitted access on the Firewall.

The next suspect would be a problem with the Registry key that controls the Account settings, especially if this is a new install and the Default Identity in OE.
Possible fix would be to create a New Identity in OE. That creates new Reg keys in a different section of the Registry.
It's simple to do and often solves a lot of problems with OE.

Uninstalling and re-installing OE usually doesn't give good results and can be a pain in the neck if you have IE7 and SP3. Just so you know, the Add/Remove Windows Components only removes access to OE (shortcuts, Start menu, etc.).
It does nothing to the program.
If OE can't be easily repaired, you're better off going to a different Mail program.

Keep me posted.
T.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Well Throoper I am very appreciative of your input on this problem but have solved it last night quite simply! But your informative post will hopefully help others who won't be with my solution.

My Netbook company's tech. help could not do so and those at BullGuard AV only suggested that I had the wrong version and should download another. I tried this but encountered install problems so installed AVG.

The uninstalling of BullGuard solved my OE problem. So it was the firewall or AV doing it. This is covered somewhat if I had previously Googled 0x800CCC0F! How Medion could sell this Netbook with this glitch is surprising - I'll inform them of it. In fact altho the OS is XP Home the BullGuard version listed in Programs is for Vista! Whether this is the primary cause I don't know.

So all's well that 'sends' well, yes? Thanks again for your considered suggestions.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
That's great to hear. :) :)

Even though I didn't think them likely suspects, they did need to be checked.
AVG is a good program and I think you'll be happy with it.

T. :)