Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why doesnt my product key work?

• Please log in to reply

needled247

needled247

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i bought the xp home cd and the perrson i bought it from did not have the case which the product key would be on, i search the disc and found what i thought was the product key but it say its invaild, i never had xp on my computer i just boght the program i really dont know what to do? ive tryed everything to my knowlege if anyone can help me it would great.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The product key is not on the disk in any way, shape or form, it would be with the original packaging. Contact the person who sold you this.

TransMayernik751

TransMayernik751

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Check and see what kind of licensing the disk is for. You probably don't have the appropriate disk for that key or an erroneous key altogether.

Check out the licensing section of this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia....and_media_types

Hope this helps

needled247

needled247

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanxs for the help, i have the xp home sp2 disc and i went to my computer icon and found the disc and then hit explore and went to 1388 i think thats what it is called and then unatted and thats where i found the product key i now realize that was not it so i have called windows tech support they even gave me a key but still no luck ive try to contact the person who sold me this usless item but to no luck at all, i really dont know what to do, i want to buy it from the store this time but i dont want to buy it and have it not work on me, any sugestions would be great and thank you all for your answers