Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CONNECTIVITY WITH BROADBAND ROUTER NOT WORKING

• Please log in to reply

bigheart_19

bigheart_19

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Guys:

I have received much assistance from you in the past and I'm in your debt for that help. Once again, I have a problem with getting on the internet with a wireless router I was given by a friend. I actually received this piece of equipment with software and all. I connect the router to my cable modem with the hope that my laptop would be able to go online as I usually do with my ethernet cable. However this is not happening. I see the router in the network and sharing center and it indicates that the signal is excellent but I'm not connected to the internet. I called my ISP's Tech Support and the guy I spoke with gave me some instructions which I followed but to no avail. I still can't get online via the router. My OS is Vista Home Premium. Help me, please!!!

I do appreciate the help. Thanks a lot!

Bigheart19

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I see the router in the network and sharing center and it indicates that the signal is excellent but I'm not connected to the internet.

just because the signal is excellent doesn't mean you're connected to the wireless connection...did you choose the network and choose to connect http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928429

bigheart_19

bigheart_19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Guys:

Sorry about the alarm. dsenette thanks for the input, but I've managed to figure this thing out. I'm now online via the wireless router typing this response to you. Never mind. Guys, Vista pointed me to the solution and I engaged the protocol that was recommended and the rest was, like they say,... However, thanks again and keep up the good work.

Bigheart_19 :)