Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pentium 3 1ghz

• Please log in to reply

stevlo

stevlo

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
:D I wanted to upgrade my P3 500mhz to a 1ghz,and I was wondering if anyone nows were i can bye one for a good price new,or used.My motherboard is a Asus P3B-F so im quite sure it can hold a 1ghz cpu.Thanks <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
An 1ghz P3 will run you about $90, and a motherboard about $70 (unless you buy a used one off eBay).

If you're going to upgrade your CPU and motherboard, you should consider an AMD Barton processor, and an nForce 2 chipset motherboard. You can get a AMD 2500+ Barton CPU for about $90, and the motherboard for about $75 (Abit). You'll also need to update your RAM to PC2700 (Crucial), about $40 for 256mb. Unfortunatley, your power supply will probably need to be upgraded to 300W, about $20 (Sparkle).

So for about $225 you can update your system to 5 times it's current speed. <_< (NOTE: If you want to experiment with overclocking, and use a quality motherboard and RAM, you can probably expect to crank the CPU up to 3200+)

Check with your local computer stores, or for shopping online, I like newegg.com (that's where I got the pricing from).

stevlo

stevlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ill take alook at your suggestions from new egg.Do you no if its an american retailer or canadian?Thanks for your help.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Newegg is US, I don't think they ship to Canada <_<