Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changes to router settings causes temp. internet loss

• Please log in to reply

baltclown

baltclown

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello,

I have a Belkin router that I purchased a few months ago. I've always had this problem when I make changes to any of the settings and save it, the router will restart and while I can still connect to the router settings, I lose the internet. Any other computers on the network lose the internet as well. Restarting the modem and the router and our computers does not fix it. All the lights on the modem are still lit up. In the past I've given up and walked away for a few hours only to find it's fixed itself when I return. This has happened even if I'm just changing the security password. And each time, after the internet resumes, the change has been successfully saved.

Tonight I was trying to set up port forwarding and it did it again. To try to resolve the problem I connected directly to the cable modem to see if Comcast was the problem. After plugging into it, I repaired the network connection and it worked. Then I replaced my computer's network cable with the router and the router had internet connection again. I tried this series of events several times to make sure it wasn't a fluke and got the same result.

Does anyone know why this would be happening? I'm running Win XP.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Edited by baltclown, 15 December 2008 - 09:14 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
It sounds like a normal router without problems.
Routers need a reboot (which causes a temp. loss of the Internet) to save the settings.
After about 1-2 minutes after changing a setting everything should be back to normal.

Regards,
Olrik

baltclown

baltclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The internet is out much longer than 1-2 minutes. It's gone for hours. The router reboots, I can access the router settings but there is no internet connection.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Is it possible to remove the router from the network for a while?
If so, then I would suggest to try the following:

Once the router starts acting up and doesn't allow Internet access, Remove the router from the network and see if you can connect straight through the modem.
If you do get Internet access when connecting straight through the modem then I suspect it might be a Router Hardware issue.

Regards,
Olrik

baltclown

baltclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for the reply.

When Ive lost the internet connection, I've connected my computer directly into the cable modem. I don't immediately have internet access but if I go to "Network Connections" and repair the connection, I can access the internet. Once I've done that, if I hook the router back up to the modem, it also works fine.

I've tried repairing the connection through the router first and that did not work. It was only after I connected to the modem directly, repaired the connection, and then reconnected the router that I could access the internet through the router again.

baltclown

baltclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
In case anyone else has this problem, Belkin sent me another router and that seems to have solved the problem as I can make changes now and don't lose the internet. Thanks for the help.