Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Have I been "had"?

• Please log in to reply

ascoredhat

ascoredhat

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello

I have an office with 6 workstations and one server. Because of an upgrade on our accounting software, we were advised we would need to upgrade our workstations from Win 2000 Pro to Win XP Pro for it to work.

So I did some online shopping and found someone (high ratings on Amazon) who was selling Win XP Pro Upgrade w/sp2 VL. I wrote to him to ask if it included the license (I never take it for granted) and he wrote back and said each disk came with 3 licenses. Goody! So I ordered 2 disks figuring that would take care of my 6 computers. I installed it on the first computer and then it told me I would need to activate it, so I went ahead and did that. Then I install it onto the second computer from that same disk. When it got to the part saying I had 30 days to activate and I, again, typed in the key to activate, it said "sorry, buddy, but you've exceeded the maximum number of installations for this key. Give me another one." Well, I don't have another one. The disk came with only one Product Key.

I wrote back to the guy and said "what's the deal?" and he wrote back saying I did it wrong. He said I'm supposed to install it on all three computers and after the 3rd installation THEN I activate. (would have been nice if he told me that in the first place).

Anyway, I wrote back again saying how exactly does one go about doing that since I would think even if I did it as he said and activated the 3rd computer after it's install, wouldn't the same thing happen when I went back to the 2 previous computers and tried to activate, i.e. I would be told "you already used this number to activate, can't do it again". He hasn't written back this time. Not a good sign.

Okay, so does this make any sense? Is there such thing as being able to activate 3 computers off the same Key? And, if so, what makes the online activation magically work for the first 2 computers just because I don't activate until after the 3rd computer is installed?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Go to Start, right-click on MyComputer, and choose Properties. In the Systems Properties window, General tab, look under "Registered to:" and there you will see the Product ID. See which one it matches in the list below...

Here's a list of Product Codes. This is the first number of the Product ID.
55274 : XP Pro generic OEM or Volume License (VL is a special case of OEM)
55276 : XP Pro (upgrade)
55276 : XP Home (?) '
55277 : XP Home generic OEM
55285 : XP Pro '
55661 : XP Pro (retail)
76475 : XP Home (upgrade) (?)
76477 : XP Home Royalty OEM
76487 : XP Media Center Edition 2005
76487 : XP Pro Royalty OEM
76487 : XP Pro volume license (with '640' channel ID)
76500 : XP MCE 2005 (XP Pro with AD/GPO disabled)
76588 : XP Pro x64 OEM

The second number is Channel ID

000 : Other (includes some retail, upgrade and evaluation versions)
007 : Retail
009 : Not for resale - bundle
011 : XP Home Upgrade
OEM : OEM (This does not specify royalty or normal OEM)
270 : Volume License
296 : MSDN
308/347 : Microsoft Action Pack subscription
335 : Retail
640 through 648, 652 : Volume License (usually generated via 270 CID in setupp.ini)
699 : Volume Windows XP Tablet Edition
071 : Possible, but unknown. Possibly an SP2 integrated install of some variety.

If you truly have a Volume license, then give Microsoft a call and speak with someone. They'll know what to do. If it turns out that you do not have a VL, then you will have to contact the seller. You mentioned Amazon, but you really didn't mention if you purchased through a click-through on Amazon.com. If you did go through Amazon, perhaps they can help you with the seller not responding. Long shot though!

Good luck!
makai

ascoredhat

ascoredhat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks, Makai. I got the product code as you said, and the first 2 sets of ID numbers are 76487-012. So I guess it could be a VL since that is one of the 3 choices for the first ID number. I don't know what the 012 calls out. Any idea of what it means?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I don't know what the -012 could stand for. I really would call/email microsoft the entire Product code, explain the situation, and see what they say. As much as I tend to ping on MS, they do support their product. Sorry, I don't know how else to help.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hello,

Go to Start, right-click on MyComputer, and choose Properties. In the Systems Properties window, General tab, look under "Registered to:" and there you will see the Product ID. See which one it matches in the list below...

I think this list is wrong in some respects. I have 55285-015 which according to your list is XP Pro. I have XP Home Upgrade.

The problem with the Product ID situation is that apparently it varies depending which flavour you have, where's its come from, whether it's a VLK licence, OEM or whatever, and whether it was part of a Microsoft deal. Apparently you get your own Channel ID if you convert cracked XP to Genuine XP and there was even an offer floating around at some point to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro for some painfully cheap price. I dare say they vary depending on where it was sold or what languages are default or everything like that.

An 012 in the product ID, by the way, seems to stem from the Upgrade bunch, so I would argue it's a VLK upgrade.

Edited by Neil Jones, 16 December 2008 - 04:59 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I didn't make up the codes, I just researched them.

I have 55285-015 which according to your list is XP Pro. I have XP Home Upgrade

This is the Wiki for full (?) codes. Read some of the notes. Apparently 55285 may also apply to XP Home upgrades (?).